Turnover of Used Durables in a Stationary Equilibrium: Are Older Goods Traded More?
AbstractThis paper develops a dynamic model with transaction costs to determine the equilibrium resale pattern in a market for a durable good. The key result is that the probability of resale is nonmonotonic in the age of the good. Trade volume is relatively low in the very beginning and in the middle of a good's life. This result helps explain observed variations of resale rates across vintages for the U.S. market of used cars.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 110 (2002)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chen, Jiawei & Esteban, Susanna & Shum, Matthew, 2008. "Demand and supply estimation biases due to omission of durability," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 247-257, December.
- Christopher House, 2008. "Fixed Costs and Long-Lived Investments," 2008 Meeting Papers 3, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Nikita Roketskiy & Alessandro Lizzeri & Alessandro Gavazza, 2012.
"A Quantitative Analysis of the Used Car Market,"
2012 Meeting Papers
173, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Boyan Jovanovic, 2008.
"When Should Firms Invest in Old Capital?,"
NBER Working Papers
14000, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pasquale Schiraldi, 2006.
"Second-Hand Markets and Collusion by Manufacturers of Semidurable Goods,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
WP2006-028, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Pasquale Schiraldi, 2009. "Second-Hand Markets and Collusion byManufacturers of Semidurable Goods," STICERD - Economics of Industry Papers 48, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Eisfeldt, Andrea L. & Rampini, Adriano A., 2007. "New or used? Investment with credit constraints," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 2656-2681, November.
- Andrikopoulos, Athanasios & Markellos, Raphael. N, 2012. "Dynamic interaction between markets for leasing and selling automobiles," MPRA Paper 45225, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Igal Hendel & Alessandro Lizzeri & Marciano Siniscalchi, 2005.
"Efficient Sorting in a Dynamic Adverse-Selection Model,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(2), pages 467-497.
- Alessandro Lizzeri, 2003. "Efficient Sorting in a Dynamic Adverse Selection Model," Theory workshop papers 505798000000000098, UCLA Department of Economics.
- I. Hendel & A. Lizzeri & M. Siniscalchi, 2002. "Efficient Sorting in a Dynamic Adverse-Selection Model," Princeton Economic Theory Working Papers 9879581e6de5e61fcfb0cd82b, David K. Levine.
- Yurko, Anna, 2008. "Can Increases in Real Consumer Incomes Explain the Aging of Motor Vehicles in the US?," MPRA Paper 8850, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Apr 2008.
- Esteban, Susanna & Shum, Matthew, . "Durable Goods Oligopoly with Secondary Markets: the Case of Automobiles," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/4993, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Clerides, Sofronis & Hadjiyiannis, Costas, 2008. "Quality standards for used durables: An indirect subsidy?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 268-282, July.
- Christopher L. House, 2008. "Fixed Costs and Long-Lived Investments," NBER Working Papers 14402, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.