Does AMD Spur Intel to Innovate More?
AbstractWe estimate an equilibrium model of dynamic oligopoly with durable goods and endogenous innovation to examine the effect of competition on innovation in the personal computer microprocessor industry. Firms make dynamic pricing and investment decisions while consumers make dynamic upgrade decisions, anticipating product improvements and price declines. Consistent with Schumpeter, we find that the rate of innovation in product quality would be 4.2 percent higher without AMD present, though higher prices would reduce consumer surplus by $12 billion per year. Comparative statics illustrate the role of product durability and provide implications of the model for other industries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 119 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Pages: 1141 - 1200
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Nevo, Aviv, 2010.
"Recent developments in empirical IO: dynamic demand and dynamic games,"
27814, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Victor Aguirregabiria & Aviv Nevo & Aviv Nevo, 2010. "Recent Developments in Empirical IO: Dynamic Demand and Dynamic Games," Working Papers tecipa-419, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Adam Hale Shapiro & Adam Copeland, 2010.
"The Impact of Competition on Technology Adoption: An Apples-to-PCs Analysis,"
2010 Meeting Papers
181, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Adam Copeland & Adam Hale Shapiro, 2010. "The Impact of Competition on Technology Adoption: An Apples-to-PCs Analysis," BEA Working Papers 0063, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Adam Copeland & Adam Hale Shapiro, 2010. "The impact of competition on technology adoption: an apples-to-PCs analysis," Staff Reports 462, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Marc Rysman & Gautam Gowrisankaran, 2011. "Dynamics of Consumer Demand for New Durable Goods," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2011-062, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Pinar Karaca-Mandic, 2011. "Role of complementarities in technology adoption: The case of DVD players," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 179-210, June.
- Hashmi, Aamir Rafique & Van Biesebroeck, Johannes, 2012.
"The Relationship between Market Structure and Innovation in Industry Equilibrium: A Case Study of the Global Automobile Industry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8783, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aamir Rafique HASHMI & Johannes VAN BIESEBROECK, 2012. "The relationship between market structure and innovation in industry equilibrium: a case study of the global automobile industry," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces12.01, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Aamir Hashmi, 2012. "The Relationship between Market Structure and Innovation in Industry Equilibrium: A Case Study of the Global Automobile Industry," 2012 Meeting Papers 356, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Aamir Rafique Hashmi & Johannes Van Biesebroeck, 2010. "Market Structure and Innovation: A Dynamic Analysis of the Global Automobile Industry," NBER Working Papers 15959, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maican, Florin G., 2012. "From Boom to Bust and Back Again: A dynamic analysis of IT services," Working Papers in Economics 543, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Fedor Iskhakov & John Rust & Bertel Schjerning, 2013. "The Dynamics of Bertrand Price Competition with Cost-Reducing Investments," Discussion Papers 13-05, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Pillai, Unni, 2011. "A model of technological progress in the microprocessor industry," MPRA Paper 31881, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Borkovsky, Ron N. & Doraszelski, Ulrich & Kryukov, Yaroslav, 2009. "A Dynamic Quality Ladder Model with Entry and Exit: Exploring the Equilibrium Correspondence Using the Homotopy Method," CEPR Discussion Papers 7560, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Cohen & Rui Huang, 2012. "Corporate Social Responsibility for Kids’ Sake: A Dynamic Model of Firm Participation," Working Papers 12, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- John Rust & Bertel Schjerning & Fedor Iskhakov, 2012. "A Dynamic Model of Leap-Frogging Investments and Bertrand Price Competition," 2012 Meeting Papers 370, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Aamir Rafique Hashmi, 2011. "Competition and Innovation: The Inverted-U Relationship Revisited," Departmental Working Papers wp1101, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Zhou, Yiyi, 2012. "Failure to Launch in Two-Sided Markets: A Study of the U.S. Video Game Market," MPRA Paper 42002, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.