Sources of Time Variation in the Covariance Matrix of Interest Rates
AbstractThe main objective of this paper is to study the sources of time variation in the covariance matrix of interest rates. We depart from the traditional standard deviation–correlation decomposition of covariances and investigate whether time variation in the covariance matrix of bond yield changes is caused by time-varying eigenvalues and/or eigenvectors. On the basis of a formal testing procedure, we find that common factors display a clear time-varying volatility over the past three decades. Most notably, we observe that the switches in monetary policy that take place with the appointment of a new Federal Reserve chairman play an important role in characterizing the time variation in the loadings on the common factors that drive interest rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 79 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Goyal, Amit & Pérignon, Christophe & Villa, Christophe, 2008. "How common are common return factors across the NYSE and Nasdaq?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 252-271, December.
- Dungey, Mardi & McKenzie, Michael & Smith, L. Vanessa, 2009.
"Empirical evidence on jumps in the term structure of the US Treasury Market,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 430-445, June.
- Mardi Dungey & Michael McKenzie & Vanessa Smith, 2007. "Empirical Evidence On Jumps In The Term Structure Of The Us Treasury Market," CAMA Working Papers 2007-25, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Chihwa Kao & Lorenzo Trapani & Giovanni Urga, 2007.
"Modelling and Testing for Structural Changes in Panel Cointegration Models with Common and Idiosyncratic Stochastic Trends,"
0708, Department of Economics and Technology Management, University of Bergamo.
- Chihwa Kao & Lorenzo Trapani & Giovanni Urga, 2007. "Modelling and Testing for Structural Changes in Panel Cointegration Models with Common and Idiosyncratic Stochastic Trend," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 92, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Galluccio, Stefano & Roncoroni, Andrea, 2006. "A new measure of cross-sectional risk and its empirical implications for portfolio risk management," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 2387-2408, August.
- Perignon, Christophe & Smith, Daniel R., 2007. "Yield-factor volatility models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 3125-3144, October.
- Dennis Philip & Chihwa Kao & Giovanni Urga, 2007. "Testing for Instability in Factor Structure of Yield Curves," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 96, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Perignon, Christophe & Smith, Daniel R. & Villa, Christophe, 2007. "Why common factors in international bond returns are not so common," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 284-304, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.