Capital Asset Prices with Heterogeneous Beliefs
AbstractWe show that in a market with an infinite number of assets and investors with unbiased heterogeneous beliefs, asset prices are identical to pricing in the capital asset pricing model, even if prices reveal no information. This result holds despite the fact that in the heterogeneous market the separation theorem does not hold, and investors hold different portfolios, which are generally located below the capital market line. When the number of assets is finite, prices deviate systematically from the CAPM prices. However, we show via simulations that in a finite but reasonably large market the CAPM pricing and risk-return relationship holds almost perfectly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 79 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Elyès Jouini & Clotilde Napp, 2010.
"Unbiased Disagreement in Financial Markets, Waves of Pessimism and the Risk-Return Trade-off,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 15(3), pages 575-601.
- Elyès Jouini & Clotilde Napp, 2010. "Unbiased Disagreement in financial markets, waves of pessimism and the risk return tradeoff," Post-Print halshs-00488481, HAL.
- Yi-Cheng Shih & Sheng-Syan Chen & Cheng-Few Lee & Po-Jung Chen, 2014. "The evolution of capital asset pricing models," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 415-448, April.
- He, Xue-Zhong & Shi, Lei, 2012. "Disagreement, correlation and asset prices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(3), pages 512-515.
- Jouini, Elyès & Napp, Clotilde, 2009. "Unbiased Disagreement and the Efficient Market Hypothesis," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/3495, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.