On the Patterns and Wealth Effects of Vertical Mergers
AbstractWe use industry commodity flows information to measure vertical relations in completed mergers from 1962 to 1996. Almost one-third of the mergers display vertical relatedness. Vertical merger activity is more intensive in the 1980s and 1990s and less so in the 1960s and the 1970s. Vertical mergers generate positive wealth effects that are significantly larger than those for diversifying mergers; the wealth effects in vertical mergers are comparable to those in pure horizontal mergers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 79 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ahern, Kenneth R., 2012. "Bargaining power and industry dependence in mergers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 530-550.
- Ekaterina Emm & Jayant Kale, 2006. "Efficiency Implications of Corporate Diversification: Evidence from Micro Data," Working Papers 06-26, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Aktas, Nihat & de Bodt, Eric & Roll, Richard, 2005. "Hubris, Learning, and M&A Decisions," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt7j94111c, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Gerard Hoberg & Gordon M. Phillips, 2011. "Conglomerate Industry Choice and Product Di fferentiation," NBER Working Papers 17221, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nils Herger & Christos Kotsogiannis & Steve McCorriston, 2011. "International Taxation and FDI Strategies: Evidence From US Cross-Border Acquisitions," Discussion Papers 1109, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Uysal, Vahap B. & Kedia, Simi & Panchapagesan, Venkatesh, 2008. "Geography and acquirer returns," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 256-275, April.
- Garfinkel, Jon A. & Hankins, Kristine Watson, 2011. "The role of risk management in mergers and merger waves," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 515-532, September.
- Gopalan, Radhakrishnan & Nanda, Vikram & Seru, Amit, 2007. "Affiliated firms and financial support: Evidence from Indian business groups," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 759-795, December.
- Martynova, Marina & Renneboog, Luc, 2008. "A century of corporate takeovers: What have we learned and where do we stand?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2148-2177, October.
- Joseph P.H. Fan & Jun Huang & Randall Morck & Bernard Yeung, 2009. "Vertical Integration, Institutional Determinants and Impact: Evidence from China," NBER Working Papers 14650, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.