Hybrid Mutual Funds and Market Timing Performance
AbstractI examine the stock market timing ability of two samples of hybrid mutual funds. I find that the inclusion of bond indices and a bond timing variable in a multifactor Treynor-Mazuy model framework leads to substantially different conclusions concerning the stock market timing performance of these funds relative to the traditional Treynor-Mazuy model. Results from the multifactor Treynor-Mazuy model find less stock timing ability over the 1981–91 time period and provide evidence of significant stock timing ability across the second fund sample during the 1992–2000 time period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 79 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andreu, L. & Swinkels, L.A.P., 2009.
"Performance Evaluation of Balanced Pension Plans,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2010-037-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Herrmann, Ulf & Scholz, Hendrik, 2013. "Short-term persistence in hybrid mutual fund performance: The role of style-shifting abilities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2314-2328.
- Boney, Vaneesha & Comer, George & Kelly, Lynne, 2009. "Timing the investment grade securities market: Evidence from high quality bond funds," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 55-69, January.
- Angelidis, Timotheos & Giamouridis, Daniel & Tessaromatis, Nikolaos, 2013.
"Revisiting mutual fund performance evaluation,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1759-1776.
- Rodriguez, Javier, 2008. "Market timing: A global endeavor," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 545-556, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.