On the Debt Capacity of Growth Options
AbstractIf debt capacity is defined as the incremental debt optimally associated with an additional asset, then the debt capacity of growth options is negative. The underinvestment costs of debt increase and free cash flow benefits of debt fall with additional growth options. Thus, if firm value increases with additional growth options, then not only does leverage decline but the firm's optimal total debt level declines as well. This result implies a negative relation between book leverage and growth options and provides a new economic interpretation of book leverage regressions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 79 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sarkar, Sudipto, 2008. "Can tax convexity be ignored in corporate financing decisions?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1310-1321, July.
- Kayo, Eduardo K. & Kimura, Herbert, 2011. "Hierarchical determinants of capital structure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 358-371, February.
- Liu, Laura Xiaolei, 2009. "Historical market-to-book in a partial adjustment model of leverage," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 602-612, December.
- Tom Vanacker & Sophie Manigart, 2010. "Pecking order and debt capacity considerations for high-growth companies seeking financing," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 53-69, July.
- Morellec, Erwan & Zhdanov, Alexei, 2008.
"Financing and takeovers,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 556-581, March.
- Tserlukevich, Yuri, 2008. "Can real options explain financing behavior?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 232-252, August.
- Heider, Florian & Gropp, Reint Eberhard, 2008. "The Determinants of Capital Structure: Some Evidence from Banks," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-015, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Frank, Murray Z. & Goyal, Vidhan K., 2009.
"Capital Structure Decisions: Which Factors are Reliably Important?,"
22525, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Murray Z. Frank & Vidhan K. Goyal, 2009. "Capital Structure Decisions: Which Factors Are Reliably Important?," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(1), pages 1-37, 03.
- Lyandres, Evgeny, 2010. "Target leverage and the costs of issuing seasoned equity," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 39-52, March.
- Zhilan Feng & Chinmoy Ghosh & C. Sirmans, 2007. "On the Capital Structure of Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 81-105, January.
- Cai, Jie & Zhang, Zhe, 2011. "Leverage change, debt overhang, and stock prices," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 391-402, June.
- Childs, Paul D. & Mauer, David C. & Ott, Steven H., 2005. "Interactions of corporate financing and investment decisions: The effects of agency conflicts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 667-690, June.
- Tucker, Jon & Stoja, Evarist, 2011. "Industry membership and capital structure dynamics in the UK," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 207-214, August.
- Ovtchinnikov, Alexei V., 2010. "Capital structure decisions: Evidence from deregulated industries," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 249-274, February.
- Jacques Sarremejeanne, 2011. "Les déterminants financiers des cessions-bail," Post-Print hal-00650571, HAL.
- T. Vanacke & S. Manigart, 2007.
"Incremental Financing Decisions in High Growth Companies: Pecking Order and Debt Capacity Considerations,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
07/475, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Vanacker, T. & Manigart, S., 2007. "Incremental financing decisions in high growth companies: pecking order and debt capacity considerations," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2007-22, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Jian Chen & Roger Strange, 2005. "The Determinants of Capital Structure: Evidence from Chinese Listed Companies," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 11-35, 03.
- Mine Ertugrul & Erasmo Giambona, 2011. "Property Segment and REIT Capital Structure," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 43(4), pages 505-526, November.
- Jensen, Gerald R. & Lundstrum, Leonard L. & Miller, Robert E., 2010. "What do dividend reductions signal?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 736-747, December.
- Mihaela Brindusa TUDOSE, 2012. "Dimensions of the research on capital structure and firm performance," Anale. Seria Stiinte Economice. Timisoara, Faculty of Economics, Tibiscus University in Timisoara, vol. 0, pages 879-886, May.
- Pawlina, Grzegorz, 2010. "Underinvestment, capital structure and strategic debt restructuring," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 679-702, December.
- Morellec, Erwan & Schürhoff, Norman, 2011. "Corporate investment and financing under asymmetric information," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 262-288, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.