Dynamic Relations between International Equity and Currency Markets: The Role of Currency Order Flow
AbstractPrevious research on the dynamic linkages between international financial markets focused on bivariate interequity or intercurrency relationships and do not allow a specific role for the currency or equity market, respectively. In this paper, we hypothesize that there are important, yet not well understood, dynamic relationships between international equity and currency markets and these are driven by information spillover via the mechanism of currency order flow. Using a trivariate asymmetric GARCH framework, we find that the relationships between equity and currency markets are significant, bidirectional, and pervasive. These relationships, which coexist with the relationships between U.S. and foreign equity markets, are much stronger in the volatilities than in the means. Importantly, we find strong support for our information spillover hypothesis where currency order flow is the economic mechanism by which information is transmitted.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 79 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jacob Gyntelberg & Mico Loretan & Tientip Subhanij & Eric Chan, 2010.
"Private information, stock markets, and exchange rates,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The international financial crisis and policy challenges in Asia and the Pacific, volume 52, pages 186-210
Bank for International Settlements.
- Jacob Gyntelberg & Mico Loretan & Tientip Subhanij & Eric Chan, 2009. "Private information, stock markets, and exchange rates," BIS Working Papers 271, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jacob Gyntelberg & Mico Loretan & Tientip Subhanij & Eric Chan, 2009. "Private information, stock markets, and exchange rates," Working Papers 2009-07, Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand.
- Rui Albuquerque & Eva De Francisco & Luis B. Marques, 2008.
"Marketwide Private Information in Stocks: Forecasting Currency Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 63(5), pages 2297-2343, October.
- Albuquerque, Rui & de Francisco, Eva & Marques, Luis, 2006. "Marketwide Private Information in Stocks: Forecasting Currency Returns," CEPR Discussion Papers 5604, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.