International Asset Allocation with Time-Varying Investment Opportunities
AbstractThis paper analyzes the international equity holdings of a large panel of U.K. pension funds. We model portfolio weights as a function of time-varying conditional moments and find that a substantial part of the evolution in portfolio weights is explained by time-varying conditional expected returns, volatilities, and covariances with domestic equity returns. Estimates of returns from international market timing suggest a net loss of 0.2% per annum for the average fund.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 78 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
Other versions of this item:
- Blake, David & Timmermann, Allan G, 2002. "International Asset Allocation with Time-Varying Investment Opportunities," CEPR Discussion Papers 3464, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blake, David & Timmermann, Allan G & Tonks, Ian & Wermers, Russ, 2010.
"Decentralized Investment Management: Evidence from the Pension Fund Industry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7679, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Blake & Alberto G. Rossi & Allan Timmermann & Ian Tonks & Russ Wermers, 2013. "Decentralized Investment Management: Evidence from the Pension Fund Industry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 68(3), pages 1133-1178, 06.
- Blake, David & Timmermann, Allan & Tonks, Ian & Wermers, Russ, 2010. "Decentralized investment management: evidence from the pension fund industry," MPRA Paper 35767, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fernandez, Pablo & Aguirreamalloa, Javier & Corres, Luis, 2012. "Rentabilidad de los Fondos de Pensiones en España. 2001-2011," IESE Research Papers D/947, IESE Business School.
- Manuel Ammann & Andreas Zingg, 2008. "Investment Performance of Swiss Pension Funds and Investment Foundations," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 144(II), pages 153-195, June.
- Kamel Laaradh, 2007. "« Investir Sur Le Marche Inernational Des Actions A-T-Il Plus D'Effet Sur La Persistance De La Performance Des Fonds ? Illustration Britannique »," Post-Print halshs-00544930, HAL.
- Moosa, Imad A. & Al-Deehani, Talla M., 2009. "The Myth of International Diversification," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 62(3), pages 383-406.
- Albuquerque, Rui & H. Bauer, Gregory & Schneider, Martin, 2009.
"Global private information in international equity markets,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 18-46, October.
- Albuquerque, Rui & Bauer, Gregor H & Schneider, Martin, 2006. "Global Private Information in International Equity Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 5819, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blake, David & Cairns, Andrew & Dowd, Kevin, 2008. "Turning pension plans into pension planes: What investment strategy designers of defined contribution pension plans can learn from commercial aircraft designers," MPRA Paper 33749, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nadima El-Hassan & Paul Kofman, 2003. "Tracking Error and Active Portfolio Management," Research Paper Series 98, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Rui Albuquerque & Gregory Bauer & Martin Schneider, 2004. "Characterizing Asymmetric Information in International Equity Markets," International Finance 0405005, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.