Institutional Herding, Business Groups, and Economic Regimes: Evidence from Japan
AbstractWe study institutional herding in Japan. Japanese firms are primarily owned by financial institutions and other corporations, they may belong to a business group (the keiretsu), and they have experienced several distinct economic regimes in its recent past. Overall, we find herding in Japan occurs on a lower level than in the United States but with a large impact on price movements. The price impact is even greater for keiretsu-affiliated firms. We also find the effects and behavior of institutional herding depends on the economic condition and the regulatory environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 78 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
Other versions of this item:
- Kim, Kenneth A. & Nofsinger, John R., 2001. "Institutional Herding, Business Groups, and Economic Regimes: Evidence from Japan," CEI Working Paper Series 2001-16, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guercio, Diane Del & Hawkins, Jennifer, 1999. "The motivation and impact of pension fund activism," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 293-340, June.
- Sheard, Paul, 1989. "The main bank system and corporate monitoring and control in Japan," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 399-422, May.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1991.
"Corporate Structure, Liquidity, and Investment: Evidence from Japanese Industrial Groups,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(1), pages 33-60, February.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989. "Corporate structure, liquidity, and investment: evidence from Japanese industrial groups," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jun-Koo Kang & Anil Shivdasani & Takeshi Yamada, 2000. "The Effect of Bank Relations on Investment Decisions: An Investigation of Japanese Takeover Bids," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2197-2218, October.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1993. "The Choice Between Public and Private Debt: An Analysis of Post-Deregulation Corporate Financing in Japan," NBER Working Papers 4421, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roe, Mark J., 1990. "Political and legal restraints on ownership and control of public companies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 7-41, September.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1990.
"The role of banks in reducing the costs of financial distress in Japan,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 67-88, September.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1990. "The Role of Banks in Reducing the Costs of Financial Distress in Japan," NBER Working Papers 3435, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kim, Kenneth A. & Limpaphayom, Piman, 1997. "The effect of economic regimes on the relation between term structure and real activity in Japan," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 379-392.
- Del Guercio, Diane, 1996. "The distorting effect of the prudent-man laws on institutional equity investments," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 31-62, January.
- Dewenter, Kathryn & Novaes, Walter & Pettway, Richard H, 2001. "Visibility versus Complexity in Business Groups: Evidence from Japanese Keiretsu," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(1), pages 79-100, January.
- Kang, Jun-Koo & Kim, Kenneth A. & Kitsabunnarat-Chatjuthamard, P. & Nishikawa, Takeshi, 2011. "The effects of bank relations on stock repurchases: Evidence from Japan," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 94-116, January.
- Moatemri Ouarda & Abdelfatteh El Bouri & Olivero Bernard, 2013. "Herding Behavior under Markets Condition: Empirical Evidence on the European Financial Markets," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(1), pages 214-228.
- Kim, Kenneth A. & Lee, Sang-Hyop & Rhee, S. Ghon, 2007. "Large shareholder monitoring and regulation: The Japanese banking experience," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 466-486.
- Alexakis, Christos & Dasilas, Apostolos & Grose, Chris, 2013. "Asymmetric dynamic relations between stock prices and mutual fund units in Japan. An application of hidden cointegration technique," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 1-8.
- Lin, Bing-Xuan & Michayluk, David & Oppenheimer, Henry R. & Reid, Sean F., 2008. "Hubris amongst Japanese bidders," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 121-159, January.
- Oh, Natalie Y. & Parwada, Jerry T., 2007. "Relations between mutual fund flows and stock market returns in Korea," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 140-151, April.
- Beckmann, Daniela & Menkhoff, Lukas & Suto, Megumi, 2007.
"Does Culture Influence Asset Managers? Views and Behavior?,"
Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover
dp-367, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Beckmann, Daniela & Menkhoff, Lukas & Suto, Megumi, 2008. "Does culture influence asset managers' views and behavior?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(3-4), pages 624-643, September.
- Ko, Kwangsoo & Kim, Keunsoo & Cho, Sung Hoon, 2007. "Characteristics and performance of institutional and foreign investors in Japanese and Korean stock markets," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 195-213, June.
- Chen, An-Sing & Hong, Bi-Shia, 2006. "Institutional ownership changes and returns around analysts' earnings forecast release events: Evidence from Taiwan," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 2471-2488, September.
- Chang, Charles, 2010. "Herding and the role of foreign institutions in emerging equity markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 175-185, April.
- Yener Altunbaş & Alper Kara & Adrian van Rixtel, 2007. "Corporate governance and corporate ownership: The investment behaviour of Japanese institutional investors," Banco de Espaï¿½a Occasional Papers 0703, Banco de Espa�a.
- Itzhak Venezia & Amrut Nashikkar & Zur Shapira, 2011. "Firm specific and macro herding by professional and amateur investors and their effects on market volatility," Discussion Paper Series dp586, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Makoto Nirei & Theodoros Stamatiou & Vladyslav Sushko, 2012. "Stochastic Herding in Financial Markets Evidence from Institutional Investor Equity Portfolios," BIS Working Papers 371, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jeon, Jin Q & Moffett, Clay M., 2010. "Herding by foreign investors and emerging market equity returns: Evidence from Korea," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 698-710, October.
- Lin, Anchor Y. & Swanson, Peggy E., 2008. "Foreigners' perceptions of U.S. markets: Do foreigners exhibit herding tendencies?," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 179-203.
- Venezia, Itzhak & Nashikkar, Amrut & Shapira, Zur, 2011. "Firm specific and macro herding by professional and amateur investors and their effects on market volatility," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1599-1609, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.