Foreign Currency Denominated Debt: An Empirical Examination
AbstractWe examine the determinants of debt issuance in 10 major currencies by large U.S. firms. Using the fraction of foreign subsidiaries and tests exploiting the disaggregated nature of our data, we find strong evidence that firms issue foreign currency debt to hedge their exposure both at the aggregate and the individual currency levels. We also find some evidence that firms choose currencies in which information asymmetry between domestic and foreign investors is low. We find no evidence that tax arbitrage, liquidity of underlying debt markets, or legal regimes influence the decision to issue debt in foreign currency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 76 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul Mizen & Frank Packer & Eli Remolona & Serafeim Tsoukas, 2012.
"Why do firms issue abroad? Lessons from onshore and offshore corporate bond finance in Asian emerging markets,"
2012_16, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Paul Mizen & Frank Packer & Eli M Remolona & Serafeim Tsoukas, 2012. "Why do firms issue abroad? Lessons from onshore and offshore corporate bond finance in Asian emerging markets," BIS Working Papers 401, Bank for International Settlements.
- Hue Hwa Au Yong, Robert Faff,Hoa Nguyen, 2011. "The Association Between Firm Characteristics and the Use of a Comprehensive Corporate Hedging Strategy: An Ordered Probit Analysis," Frontiers in Finance and Economics, SKEMA Business School, vol. 8(1), pages 1-16, April.
- Peter Backé & Tina Zumer, 2005. "Developments in Credit to the Private Sector in Central and Eastern European EU Member States: Emerging from Financial Repression — A Comparative Overview," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 2, pages 83 -109.
- Brown, M. & Ongena, S. & Yesin, P., 2008. "Currency Denomination of Bank Loans: Evidence from Small Firms in Transition Countries," Discussion Paper 2008-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kevin Aretz & Söhnke M. Bartram, 2010.
"Corporate Hedging And Shareholder Value,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 33(4), pages 317-371, December.
- Ugur Lel, 2006.
"Currency hedging and corporate governance: a cross-country analysis,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
858, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lel, Ugur, 2012. "Currency hedging and corporate governance: A cross-country analysis," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 221-237.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines Jr., 2006.
"Capital Structure with Risky Foreign Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
12276, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Esho, Neil & Sharpe, Ian G. & Webster, Kristian H., 2007. "Hedging and choice of currency denomination in international syndicated loan markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 195-212, April.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines, 2006.
"Capital Controls, Liberalizations, and Foreign Direct Investment,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(4), pages 1433-1464.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines Jr., 2004. "Capital Controls, Liberalizations, and Foreign Direct Investement," NBER Working Papers 10337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nguyen, Hoa & Faff, Robert, 2006. "Foreign debt and financial hedging: Evidence from Australia," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 184-201.
- Aoun, Dany & Heshmati, Almas, 2006. "The Causal Relationship between Capital Structure and Cost of Capital: Evidence from ICT Companies Listed at NASDAQ," Ratio Working Papers 87, The Ratio Institute.
- McBrady, Matthew R. & Schill, Michael J., 2007. "Foreign currency-denominated borrowing in the absence of operating incentives," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 145-177, October.
- Ippei Fujiwara & Yuki Teranishi, 2009. "Financial Stability in Open Economies," IMES Discussion Paper Series 09-E-09, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Mariya Hake & Helmut Stix, 2011. "Households’ Foreign Currency Borrowing in Central and Eastern Europe," Working Papers 171, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.