Regulation, Taxes, and Share Repurchases in the United Kingdom
AbstractWe examine share repurchase activity in the United Kingdom over a period when the tax and regulatory environment changed drastically. We find that the form and intensity of repurchase activity in the United Kingdom is influenced by the tax consequences for pension funds. We also find that firms announcing share repurchases earn smaller excess returns, both in the short run and the long run, than those earned by firms in the United States. This is because of regulatory provisions in the United Kingdom that make it less likely that firms can use superior information to buy back shares when their shares are undervalued.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 75 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bank, Steven & Cheffins, Brian & Goergen, Marc, 2009. "Dividends and politics," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 208-224, June.
- Andrew Vivian, 2007. "The Equity Premium: 100 Years of Empirical Evidence from the UK," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 0711, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Becker, Bo & Jacob, Marcus & Jacob, Martin, 2013.
"Payout taxes and the allocation of investment,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 1-24.
- Alzahrani, Mohammed & Lasfer, Meziane, 2012. "Investor protection, taxation, and dividends," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 745-762.
- Carol Padgett & Zhiqi Wang, . "Short-Term Returns of UK Share Buyback Activity," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2007-10, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Renneboog, Luc & Trojanowski, Grzegorz, 2011. "Patterns in payout policy and payout channel choice," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 1477-1490, June.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Trojanowski, G., 2005.
"Patterns in Payout Policy and Payout Channel Choice of UK Firms in the 1990s,"
2005-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Trojanowski, G., 2005. "Patterns in Payout Policy and Payout Channel Choice of UK Firms in the 1990s," Discussion Paper 2005-002, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Oded, Jacob, 2009. "Optimal execution of open-market stock repurchase programs," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 832-869, November.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Trojanowski, G., 2005.
"Control Structures and Payout Policy,"
2005-61, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Lee, Chun I. & Ejara, Demissew Diro & Gleason, Kimberly C., 2010. "An empirical analysis of European stock repurchases," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(2-3), pages 114-125, July.
- Lee, Yong-Gyo & Jung, Sung-Chang & Thornton, John Jr., 2005. "Long-term stock performance after open-market repurchases in Korea," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 191-209, December.
- Andriosopoulos, Dimitris & Hoque, Hafiz, 2013. "The determinants of share repurchases in Europe," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 65-76.
- Louis, Henock & White, Hal, 2007. "Do managers intentionally use repurchase tender offers to signal private information? Evidence from firm financial reporting behavior," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 205-233, July.
- Mitchell, Jason D. & Dharmawan, Grace V., 2007. "Incentives for on-market buy-backs: Evidence from a transparent buy-back regime," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 146-169, March.
- Andrew Vivian, 2005. "The Equity Premium: 101 years of Empirical Evidence from the UK," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 92, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Ben-Rephael, Azi & Oded, Jacob & Wohl, Avi, 2011. "Do firms buy their stock at bargain prices? Evidence from actual stock repurchase disclosure," CFS Working Paper Series 2011/17, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Ferris, Stephen P. & Sen, Nilanjan & Yui, Ho Pei, 2006. "Are fewer firms paying more dividends?: The international evidence," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 333-362, October.
- David McLean, R. & Pontiff, Jeffrey & Watanabe, Akiko, 2009. "Share issuance and cross-sectional returns: International evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 1-17, October.
- Ken Yook & Partha Gangopadhyay, 2011. "A comprehensive examination of the wealth effects of recent stock repurchase announcements," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 509-529, November.
- Jung, Sung-Chang & Lee, Yong-Gyo & Thornton, John Jr., 2005. "An empirical comparison between operations of stabilization funds and stock repurchases in Korea," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 319-341, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.