Management Turnover and Product Market Competition: Empirical Evidence from the U.S. Newspaper Industry
AbstractWe examine the relationship between management turnover and market structure for newspapers in 50 large cities from 1950 to 1993. We find that competitive markets display greater turnover rates than monopolistic markets and that turnover rates are increasing in the degree to which a newspaper trails its competition in market share. We find no evidence that the turnover-performance relationship varies with market structure. We discuss the implications of these findings for theories concerning competition and managerial employment contracting. The results appear most consistent with the hypothesis that the greater likelihood of liquidation in competitive markets leads to elevated turnover rates. Copyright 2000 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 73 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tom Van Caneghem & Walter Aerts, 2011. "Intra-industry conformity in dividend policy," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(6), pages 492-516, June.
- Cools, Kees & Mirjam van Praag, C., 2007.
"The value relevance of top executive departures: Evidence from the Netherlands,"
Journal of Corporate Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 721-742, December.
- Cools, Kees & van Praag, Mirjam, 2007. "The Value Relevance of Top Executive Departures: Evidence from the Netherlands," IZA Discussion Papers 3054, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kirstein, Roland & Kirstein, Annette, 2004.
"Inefficient Intra-Firm Incentives Can Stabilize Cartels in Cournot Oligopolies,"
CSLE Discussion Paper Series
2004-09, Saarland University, CSLE - Center for the Study of Law and Economics.
- Roland Kirstein & Annette Kirstein, 2007. "Inefficient Intra-Firm Incentives Can Stabilize Cartels in Cournot Oligopolies," FEMM Working Papers 07004, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Ahmed Ennasri, 2010. "Incitations Managériales et Concurrence : Synthèse de la Littérature," Studies and Syntheses 10-03, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Oct 2010.
- Cook, Douglas O. & Hogan, Arthur & Kieschnick, Robert, 2004. "A study of the corporate governance of thrifts," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1247-1271, June.
- Lau, Chung-Ming & Fan, Dennis K.K. & Young, Michael N. & Wu, Shukun, 2007. "Corporate governance effectiveness during institutional transition," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 425-448, August.
- Gillan, Stuart L. & Martin, John D., 2007. "Corporate governance post-Enron: Effective reforms, or closing the stable door?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 929-958, December.
- Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2002. "The Effect of Product Market Competition on Capital Structure: Empirical Evidence from the Newspaper Industry," Business School Working Papers veintiocho, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Powers, Eric A., 2005. "Interpreting logit regressions with interaction terms: an application to the management turnover literature," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 504-522, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.