The Response of Domestic Prices to Expected Exchange Rates
AbstractThis article examines the recent U.S. price experience in response to the actual and anticipated rise and fall of the dollar, and tests for determinants of the observed price effects. An index of real exchange-rate expectations is developed and used to explore its role in determining domestic producer prices. Actual and expected future real exchange rates are seen to have opposite impacts on domestic price determination at the industry level. Further, the industry-specific characteristics interact asymmetrically with actual and expected real exchange-rate changes. Copyright 1992 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 65 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Feinberg, Robert M., 1996. "A simultaneous analysis of exchange-rate passthrough into prices of imperfectly substitutable domestic and import goods," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 407-416.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1995.
"Estimating the effects of trade policy,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 30, pages 1553-1595
- Robert Feenstra, 2004. "Estimating The Effects Of Trade Policy," Working Papers 9510, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," NBER Working Papers 5051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," Papers 95-10, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," Department of Economics 95-10, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Lee, Jaewoo, 1998. "Intertemporal substitution in imported durables," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 113-133, February.
- Alan Kirman & Louis Phlips, 1996. "Exchange-rate pass-through and market structure," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 64(2), pages 129-154, June.
- Martins Bitans, 2004. "Pass-Through of Exchange Rates to Domestic Prices in East European Countries and the Role of Economic Enviroment," Working Papers 2004/04, Latvijas Banka.
- Parsley, David C., 1995. "Anticipated future shocks and exchange rate pass-through in the presence of reputation," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 99-103.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.