Measuring Image Spillovers in Umbrella-Branded Products
AbstractUmbrella branding, the practice of labeling more than one product with a single brand name, is commonly used by multiproduct companies. Spillovers occur when information about one product affects the demand for other products with the same brand name. This article provides a methodology to analyze spillovers and uses it to measure two instances of spillover effects. The study shows that negative spillovers resulted from the Audi 5000's problems with sudden acceleration and that positive spillovers resulted from Jaguar's first major model change in seventeen years. Copyright 1990 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 63 (1990)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- F. Magnoni & Elyette Roux, 2011. "Stretching a luxury brand down: An experimental study of core brand dilution effects," Post-Print halshs-00644899, HAL.
- Cabral, Luís M.B., 2009. "Umbrella branding with imperfect observability and moral hazard," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 206-213, March.
- Dall'Olmo Riley, Francesca & Pina, José M. & Bravo, Rafael, 2013. "Downscale extensions: Consumer evaluation and feedback effects," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 196-206.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Peitz, Martin, 2008.
"Umbrella branding and the provision of quality,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 546-556, March.
- Hendrik Hakenes & Martin Peitz, 2004. "Umbrella Branding and the Provision of Quality," CESifo Working Paper Series 1373, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Peitz, Martin, 2004. "Umbrella Branding and the Provision of Quality," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 04-51, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Peitz, Martin, 2006. "Umbrella Branding and the Provision of Quality," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 132, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Reddy, Mergen & Terblanche, Nic & Pitt, Leyland & Parent, Michael, 2009. "How far can luxury brands travel? Avoiding the pitfalls of luxury brand extension," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 187-197.
- Thomas Liebi, 2002. "Trusting Labels: A Matter of Numbers?," Diskussionsschriften dp0201, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Myung Ko & Kweku-Muata & Carlos Dorantesa, . "Planning Technology Investments For High Payoffs: A Rational Expectations Approach To Gauging Potential And Realized Value In A Changing Environment," Working Papers 0040, College of Business, University of Texas at San Antonio.
- Nadja Silberhorn & Lutz Hildebrandt, 2012. "Does umbrella branding really work? Investigating cross-category brand loyalty," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-028, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Julia Cagé & Dorothée Rouzet, 2013. "Improving "National Brands": Reputation for Quality and Export Promotion Strategies," PSE Working Papers halshs-00797006, HAL.
- Olivier Gergaud & Florine Livat, 2004. "Team versus individual reputations : a model of interaction and some empirical evidence," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla04015, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Miklos-Thal, Jeanine, 2008. "Linking Reputations: The Signaling and Feedback Effects of Umbrella Branding," MPRA Paper 11045, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andersson, Fredrik, 2002. "Pooling reputations," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 715-730, May.
- Julio J. Rotemberg, 2010. "Quality Provision, Expected Firm Altruism and Brand Extensions," NBER Working Papers 15635, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elisabete de Magalhães Serra & José António Varela Gonzalez, 1997. "UN ANÁLISIS EMPÍRICO de los EFECTOS RECÍPRICOS de las EXTENSIONES DE MARCA," Working Papers de GestÃ£o (Management Working Papers) 02, Faculdade de Economia e Gestão, Universidade Católica Portuguesa (Porto).
- Kim, Chung K. & Lavack, Anne M. & Smith, Margo, 2001. "Consumer evaluation of vertical brand extensions and core brands," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 211-222, June.
- Marette, Stephan & Zago, Angelo M., 2003. "Advertising, Collective Action, And Labeling In The European Wine Markets," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 34(03), November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.