Calibration-Based Predictive Distributions: An Application of Prequential Analysis to Interest Rates, Money, Prices, and Output
AbstractSome techniques of probability forecasting are applied to time-series data on interest rates, money stock, consumer prices, and output. A sequential method for debiasing (recalibrating) predictive distributions and outcomes is developed, and the authors estimated sequences of unadjusted and recalibrated distributions are tested for calibration. After recalibration, the calibration hypothesis cannot be rejected for most of the time-series and forecast horizons. Furthermore, traditional point forecasts can be improved when the forecasts are derived from recalibrated distributions. Copyright 1989 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 62 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Casillas-Olvera, Gabriel & Bessler, David A., 2006. "Probability forecasting and central bank accountability," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 223-234, February.
- Herbst, Edward & Schorfheide, Frank, 2012.
"Evaluating DSGE model forecasts of comovements,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 171(2), pages 152-166.
- Edward Herbst & Frank Schorfheide, 2012. "Evaluating DSGE model forecasts of comovements," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2012-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Edward Herbst & Frank Schorfheide, 2011. "Evaluating DSGE model forecasts of comovements," Working Papers 11-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Marco Del Negro & Frank Schorfheide, 2012. "DSGE model-based forecasting," Staff Reports 554, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- David Bessler & Robert Ruffley, 2004. "Prequential analysis of stock market returns," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(5), pages 399-412.
- Frank Schorfheide & Dongho Song, 2012.
"Real-time forecasting with a mixed-frequency VAR,"
701, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Goodwin, Barry K., 1992. "Forecasting Cattle Prices In The Presence Of Structural Change," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.