Financial Contracting in Biotech Strategic Alliances
AbstractWe analyze 125 strategic alliance contracts, all of which concern early-stage research at small biotechnology research and development companies. Staged investment is ubiquitous, but solutions to agency problems vary. The cycle of equity participation in alliances resembles what we observe in venture capital contracts: they involve convertible equity and sometimes contain antidilution provisions, warrants, and board seats. Contracts rights vary explicitly with the size of the equity stake. Contracts contain explicit provisions linking equity participation to subsequent initial public offerings and contain clauses designed to insulate both parties from multitasking problems. Contracts often specify provisions that are unobservable or difficult to verify, which suggests a role for expected litigation as an enforcement tool in contract design.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal The Journal of Law and Economics.
Volume (Year): 50 (2007)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hansen, Zeynep & Higgins, Matthew, 2007. "The Effect of Contractual Complexity on Technology Sourcing Agreements," MPRA Paper 4979, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baker, George P. & Gibbons, Robert & Murphy, Kevin J., 2008.
"Strategic alliances: Bridges between "islands of conscious power","
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 146-163, June.
- George P. Baker & Robert Gibbons & Kevin J. Murphy, 2008. "Strategic alliances: Bridges between “islands of conscious power”," NBER Chapters, in: Organizational Innovation and Firm Performance, pages 146-163 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boone, Audra L. & Ivanov, Vladimir I., 2012. "Bankruptcy spillover effects on strategic alliance partners," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 551-569.
- Darren Filson & Rosa Morales, 2001.
"Equity Links and Information Acquisition in Biotechnology Alliances,"
Claremont Colleges Working Papers
2001-24, Claremont Colleges.
- Filson, Darren & Morales, Rosa, 2006. "Equity links and information acquisition in biotechnology alliances," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Da Rin, M. & Hellmann, T. & Puri, M.L., 2011.
"A Survey of Venture Capital Research,"
2011-111, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Da Rin, M. & Hellmann, T. & Puri, M.L., 2011. "A Survey of Venture Capital Research," Discussion Paper 2011-044, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Marco Da Rin & Thomas F. Hellmann & Manju Puri, 2011. "A survey of venture capital research," NBER Working Papers 17523, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael D. Ryall & Rachelle C. Sampson, 2009. "Formal Contracts in the Presence of Relational Enforcement Mechanisms: Evidence from Technology Development Projects," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(6), pages 906-925, June.
- Xinyu Hua, 2004. "Strategic Ex-ante Contracts: Rent-Extraction and Opportunity Costs," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 564, Econometric Society.
- Josh Lerner & Ulrike Malmendier, 2005.
"Contractibility and the Design of Research Agreements,"
NBER Working Papers
11292, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Josh Lerner & Ulrike Malmendier, 2010. "Contractibility and the Design of Research Agreements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 214-46, March.
- Ozmel, Umit & Robinson, David T. & Stuart, Toby E., 2013. "Strategic alliances, venture capital, and exit decisions in early stage high-tech firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(3), pages 655-670.
- Subramanian, Annapoornima M. & Lim, Kwanghui & Soh, Pek-Hooi, 2013. "When birds of a feather don’t flock together: Different scientists and the roles they play in biotech R&D alliances," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 595-612.
- Beshears, John, 2013. "The performance of corporate alliances: Evidence from oil and gas drilling in the Gulf of Mexico," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 324-346.
- Bodnaruk, Andriy & Massa, Massimo & Simonov, Andrei, 2013. "Alliances and corporate governance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(3), pages 671-693.
- Dhikra Chebbi Nekhili, 2009. "Gouvernance contractuelle et cognitive des alliances internationales en R&D," Working Papers CREGO 1090505, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Kirsten Burkhardt, 2011. "Le rôle des sociétés de capital-risque dans la formation d’alliances stratégiques:Une synthèse de littérature - The Role of Venture Capitalists in the Formation of Strategic Alliances:An acade," Working Papers CREGO 1111102, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.