The Choice of Organizational Form in Gasoline Retailing and the Cost of Laws That Limit That Choice
AbstractThis paper uses a new data source to analyze the choice of organizational form of retail gasoline stations. In recent years, gasoline stations have tended to be less likely to be owned and operated by a lessee-dealer and more likely to be owned and operated by the refiner. We examine the determinants of organizational form and find them to be based on efficiency, not predatory concerns. We estimate the costs of recent laws that prohibit company ownership of gasoline stations and find that the annual cost of national divorcement legislation could easily exceed $1 billion. Copyright 2001 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Law & Economics.
Volume (Year): 44 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kosová, Renáta & Lafontaine, Francine, 2012. "Much ado about chains: A research agenda," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 303-308.
- Loertscher, Simon & Reisinger, Markus, 2009. "Competitive E?ects of Vertical Integration with Downstream Oligopsony and Oligopoly," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 278, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Iwasaki, Ichiro, 2013. "Economics of Corporate Form: Why Do Russian Firms Prefer to Be Closed Companies?," RRC Working Paper Series 3, Russian Research Center, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Michiel Bijlsma & Viktoria Kocsis & Victoria Shestalova & Gijsbert Zwart, 2008. "Vertical foreclosure: a policy framework," CPB Document 157, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Alicia García-Herrera & Rafael Llorca-Vivero, 2010. "How time influences franchise contracts: the Spanish case," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 1-16, August.
- Erich J. Muehlegger, 2004.
"Gasoline Price Spikes and Regional Gasoline Content Regulations - A Structural Approach,"
0421, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Muehlegger, Erich, 2006. "Gasoline Price Spikes and Regional Gasoline Content Regulation: A Structural Approach," Working Paper Series rwp06-015, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Lafontaine, Francine & Slade, Margaret, 2007.
"Vertical Integration and Firm Boundaries : The Evidence,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
799, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Francine Lafontaine & Margaret Slade, 2007. "Vertical Integration and Firm Boundaries: The Evidence," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 45(3), pages 629-685, September.
- Fernando Coloma & Juan-Pablo Montero, 2009. "Escalamiento de cargos de acceso e incentivos a la predación de un operador de telefonía local integrado verticalmente," Documentos de Trabajo 361, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- William Comanor & Jon Riddle, 2003. "The Costs of Regulation: Branded Open Supply and Uniform Pricing of Gasoline," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 135-155.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.