Long-Run Effects of Mergers: The Case of U.S. Western Railroads
AbstractWe provide a retrospective assessment of the effects of the two recent major railroad mergers in the western United States (Burlington Northern–Atchison-Topeka-Santa Fe and Union Pacific–Southern Pacific) on the price of rail transport of export grain. Estimation accounts for selectivity bias that arises because rail prices are observed only for routes with traffic. Despite concerns that both mergers could harm consumers by reducing carrier competition, we find that, in the long run, the mergers have had negligible effects on grain transportation prices and consumer welfare.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal The Journal of Law and Economics.
Volume (Year): 54 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Pages: 275 - 304
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Orley C. Ashenfelter & Daniel S. Hosken & Matthew C. Weinberg, 2011.
"The Price Effects of a Large Merger of Manufacturers: A Case Study of Maytag-Whirlpool,"
NBER Working Papers
17476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orley C. Ashenfelter & Daniel S. Hosken & Matthew C. Weinberg, 2013. "The Price Effects of a Large Merger of Manufacturers: A Case Study of Maytag-Whirlpool," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 239-61, February.
- Koski, Heli & Pajarinen, Mika, 2013. "Empirical Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Competition Policy," ETLA Working Papers 15, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Orley C. Ashenfelter & Daniel Hosken & Matthew C. Weinberg, 2014. "Did Robert Bork Understate the Competitive Impact of Mergers? Evidence from Consummated Mergers," NBER Working Papers 19939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Coublucq, Daniel, 2013. "Demand estimation with selection bias: A dynamic game approach with an application to the US railroad industry," DICE Discussion Papers 94, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Duarte Brito & Pedro Pereira & Joaquim Ramalho, 2013.
"Mergers, Coordinated Effects and Efficiency in the Portuguese Non-Life Insurance Industry,"
CEFAGE-UE Working Papers
2013_18, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Brito, Duarte & Pereira, Pedro & Ramalho, Joaquim J.S., 2013. "Mergers, coordinated effects and efficiency in the Portuguese non-life insurance industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 554-568.
- Coublucq, Daniel, 2013. "Econometric analysis of productivity with measurement error: Empirical application to the US Railroad industry," DICE Discussion Papers 95, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Clifford Winston, 2013. "On the Performance of the U.S. Transportation System: Caution Ahead," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 51(3), pages 773-824, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.