The Decline of Unionization in the United States: What Can Be Learned from Recent Experience
AbstractThe dramatic decline in unionization over the last decade is investigated in the context of a supply/demand model of union status determination using data from surveys of workers conducted in 1977 and 1984 along with data from the National Labor Relations Board on representation elections. It is concluded that the decline in unionization since 1977 is accounted for largely by (1) an increase in employer resistance to unionization, probably due to increased product market competitiveness and (2) a decrease in demand for union representation by nonunion workers due to an increase in the satisfaction of nonunion workers with their jobs and a decline in nonunion workers' beliefs that unions are able to improve wages and working conditions. Copyright 1990 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 8 (1990)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Magnani, Elisabetta & Prentice, David, 2003.
"Did globalization reduce unionization? Evidence from US manufacturing,"
Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 705-726, December.
- Elisabetta Magnani & David Prentice, 2000. "Did Globalization Reduce Unionisation? Evidence from U.S. Manufacturing," Working Papers 2000.17, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Eguchi, Kyota, 2002. "Unions as commitment devices," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 407-421, April.
- Edgar Preugschat, 2009. "Unionization Patterns and Firm Reallocation," 2009 Meeting Papers 1114, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Barry T. Hirsch & Edward J. Schumacher, 2000.
"Private Sector Union Density and the Wage Premium: Past, Present, and Future,"
0015, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Barry T. Hirsch & Edward J. Schumacher, 2001. "Private Sector Union Density and the Wage Premium: Past, Present, and Future ," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 22(3), pages 487-518, July.
- Henry S. Farber & Alan Krueger, 1992.
"Union Membership in the United States: The Decline Continues,"
685, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Henry S. Farber & Alan B. Krueger, 1992. "Union Membership in the United States: The Decline Continues," NBER Working Papers 4216, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:fth:prinin:437 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2001.
"The Changing Distribution of Job Satisfaction,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 36(1), pages 1-30.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:2006.03 is not listed on IDEAS
- Blanchflower, David G., 2006. "A Cross-Country Study of Union Membership," IZA Discussion Papers 2016, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sarkar, Santanu, 2012. "Determinants of employees’ attitudes toward union membership in India," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 240-250.
- Anh T. Le & Paul W. Miller, 2003. "Choice of School in Australia: Determinants and Consequences," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 36(1), pages 55-78.
- repec:fth:prinin:452 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elisabetta Magnani & David Prentice, 2010.
"Outsourcing And Unionization: A Tale Of Misallocated (Resistance) Resources,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(2), pages 460-482, 04.
- Elisabetta Magnani & David Prentice, 2006. "Outsourcing and Unionisation: A tale of misallocated (resistance) resources," Working Papers 2006.03, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- repec:fth:prinin:306 is not listed on IDEAS
- David Card, 1992. "The Effect of Unions on the Distribution of Wages: Redistribution or Relabelling?," NBER Working Papers 4195, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Behroz Baraghoshi & Cihan Bilginsoy, 2013. "Interstate Variations in Private Sector Union Density in the U.S," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 180-202, June.
- repec:fth:prinin:420 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:fth:prinin:287 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.