Hiring and Firing: A Tale of Two Thresholds
AbstractThe negative effect of quits on the willingness of firms to provide on-the-job training is well documented in the theoretical literature. Here we explore the strength of this effect by solving a firm's dynamic optimization problem where there is uncertainty about future productivity and nonzero firing costs. We find that the degree to which quit rates affect hiring depends on the ratio of firing to hiring costs. As this ratio rises, the negative effect of quits becomes less important, eventually reversing itself. We also describe how quit rates affect the firing decision. We highlight some testable implications of our analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (Part)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Royalty, Anne Beeson, 1998. "Job-to-Job and Job-to-Nonemployment Turnover by Gender and Education Level," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(2), pages 392-443, April.
- Stevens, Margaret, 1994. "A Theoretical Model of On-the-Job Training with Imperfect Competition," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(4), pages 537-62, October.
- Addison, John T & Chilton, John B, 1997. "Nondisclosure as a Contract Remedy: Explaining the Advance-Notice Puzzle," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 143-64, January.
- Booth, Alison & Chatterji, Monojit, 1989. "Redundancy Payments and Firm-Specific Training," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 56(224), pages 505-21, November.
- Kuhn, Peter, 1992. "Mandatory Notice," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 10(2), pages 117-37, April.
- World Bank, 2005. "Malaysia : Firm Competitiveness, Investment Climate and Growth," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8310, The World Bank.
- Michael Funke & Yu-Fu Chen, 2004.
"Exchange rate uncertainty and labour market adjustment under fixed and flexible exchange rates,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003
33, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Chen, Yu-Fu & Funke, Michael, 2002. "Exchange rate uncertainty and labour market adjustment under fixed and flexible exchange rates," HWWA Discussion Papers 196, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Yu-Fu Chen & Michael Funke, 2002. "Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Labour Market Adjustment under Fixed and Flexible Exchange Rates," CESifo Working Paper Series 779, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yu-Fu Chen & Michael Funke, 2002. "Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Labour Market Adjustment under Fixed and Flexible Exchange Rates," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20202, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Månsson, Jonas, 2006. "A Note on the Shape of the Cost Function for Recruiting Labour," CAFO Working Papers 2006:4, Centre for Labour Market Policy Research (CAFO), School of Business and Economics, Linnaeus University.
- Chen Yu-Fu & Funke Michael, 2004.
"Working Time and Employment Under Uncertainty,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 8(3), pages 1-23, September.
- Yu-Fu Chen & Michael Funke, 2002. "Working Time and Employment under Uncertainty," CESifo Working Paper Series 732, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yu-Fu Chen & Michael Funke, 2004. "Working Time and Employment under Uncertainty," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20409, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Yu-Fu Chen & Michael Funke, 2002. "Working Time and Employment under Uncertainty," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 134, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Elisabetta Magnani, 2012. "Older Workers' Training Opportunities in Times of Workplace Innovation," Working Papers 201205, ARC Centre of Excellence in Population Ageing Research (CEPAR), Australian School of Business, University of New South Wales.
- Booth, Alison L. & Zoega, Gylfi, 2003. "On the welfare implications of firing costs," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 759-775, November.
- Jim Malley & Hassan Molana, 2006.
" The Relationship between Output and Unemployment with Efficiency Wages,"
CDMA Conference Paper Series
0607, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Jim Malley & Hassan Molana, 2007. "The Relationship between Output and Unemployment with Efficiency Wages," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8, pages 561-577, November.
- Yu-Fu Chen & I-Hui Cheng, 2003. "Lobbying for Protection under Uncertainty: A Real Option Approach," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 155, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Yu-Fu Chen & Michael Funke, 2003. "Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Labour Market Flexibility under Fixed and Flexible Exchange Rates," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 149, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- B. Dormont & M. Pauchet, 2003. "Uncertainty and Recourse to Short-Term Contracts," THEMA Working Papers 2003-35, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.