Enforcement of Implicit Employment Contracts through Unionization
AbstractIn a world in which employment contracts are incomplete, it is costly for a firm to establish credibility for honoring implicit terms of employment agreements. By monitoring the employment relationships between the firm and its workers, the labor union may provide the workforce with valuable information regarding the firm's adherence to these implicit agreements. Thus, the union provides a signaling mechanism that allows workers to coordinate their actions in order to discipline the firm for a breach of the implicit contract. This mechanism enhances the firm's credibility when forming employment contracts and facilitates increased employment levels. Copyright 2001 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 19 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Aghion, Philippe & Violante, Giovanni L., 2001.
"Deunionization, technical change and inequality,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 229-264, December.
- Damien S Eldridge, 2007.
"A Shirking Theory of Referrals,"
2007.05, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Guertzgen, Nicole, 2009. "Wage insurance within German firms: do institutions matter?," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-043, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Paul J. Devereux & Robert A. Hart, 2007.
"The Spot Market Matters: Evidence On Implicit Contracts From Britain,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 54(5), pages 661-683, November.
- Devereux, Paul J. & Hart, Robert A., 2005. "The Spot Market Matters: Evidence on Implicit Contracts from Britain," IZA Discussion Papers 1497, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Uwe Jirjahn & Georgi Tsertsvadze, 2006. "Betriebsräte und Arbeitszufriedenheit," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 226(5), pages 537-561, September.
- Nicola Meccheri & Luciano Fanti, 2012.
"Informal incentive labour contracts and product market competition,"
2012/139, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Nicola Meccheri & Luciano Fanti, 2014. "Informal incentive labour contracts and product market competition," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 111(2), pages 131-149, March.
- Gerard A. Pfann & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2008. "Two Sided-Learning with Applications to Labour Turnover and Worker Displacement," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 228(5+6), pages 423-445, December.
- Bellou, Andriana & Kaymak, Barış, 2012.
"Wages, implicit contracts, and the business cycle: Evidence from a European panel,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 898-907.
- BELLOU Andriana & KAYMAK Baris, 2011. "Wages, Implicit Contracts, and the Business Cycle: Evidence from a European Panel," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2011-13, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- repec:iab:iabmit:v:36:i:4:p:649-660 is not listed on IDEAS
- Scoppa, Vincenzo, 2003.
"Contratti Incompleti Ed Enforcement Endogeno. Una Rassegna Della Letteratura
[Incomplete Contracts and Endogenous Enforcement. A Survey]," MPRA Paper 17284, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Scoppa Vincenzo, 2003. "Contratti incompleti ed enforcement endogeno. Una rassegna della letteratura," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 391-440.
- Jirjahn, Uwe, 2003. "Betriebsräte, Tarifverträge und betriebliches Lohnniveau (Works councils, wage agreements and the company wage level)," Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 36(4), pages 649-660.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.