Income Taxes and Entrepreneurs' Use of Labor
AbstractWe investigate the effect of entrepreneurs' personal taxes on their use of labor, analyze the tax returns of sole proprietors before and after the Tax Reform Act of 1986, and determine how the substantial reductions in marginal tax rates affected their hiring decisions and wage bills. Individual income taxes exert a statistically and quantitatively significant influence on the probability of hiring workers. Raising the entrepreneur's "tax price" by 10% raises the mean probability of hiring by about 12%. Further, taxes influence total wage payments to workers. The tax-price elasticity of the median wage bill is about .37. Copyright 2000 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Congregado, Emilio & Golpe, Antonio A. & Carmona, Mónica, 2010. "Is it a good policy to promote self-employment for job creation? Evidence from Spain," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 828-842, November.
- Robert Carroll & Douglas Holtz-Eakin & Mark Rider & Harvey S. Rosen, 2001.
"Personal Income Taxes and the Growth of Small Firms,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 15, pages 121-148
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Carroll & Douglas Holtz-Eakin & Mark Rider & Harvey S. Rosen, 2000. "Personal Income Taxes and the Growth of Small Firms," NBER Working Papers 7980, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fossen, Frank M. & Steiner, Viktor, 2006.
"Income Taxes and Entrepreneurial Choice: Empirical Evidence from Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2164, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Frank M. Fossen & Viktor Steiner, 2006. "Income Taxes and Entrepreneurial Choice: Empirical Evidence from Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 582, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Millán, Ana & Millán, José María & Román, Concepción & van Stel, André, 2013.
"How does employment protection legislation influence hiring and firing decisions by the smallest firms?,"
Elsevier, vol. 121(3), pages 444-448.
- André van Stel & José Maria Millán & Concepcion Roman & Ana Millán, 2013. "How does employment protection legislation influence hiring and firing decisions by the smallest firms?," Scales Research Reports H201216, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Cullen, Julie Berry & Gordon, Roger H., 2007. "Taxes and entrepreneurial risk-taking: Theory and evidence for the U.S," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(7-8), pages 1479-1505, August.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Sanandaji, Tino, 2008.
"Entrepreneurship and the Theory of Taxation,"
Working Paper Series
732, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 19 Aug 2009.
- Hansson, Åsa, 2009. "Are small business owners more successful in avoiding taxes: Evidence from Sweden," Working Papers 2009:6, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Heim, Bradley T., 2010. "The responsiveness of self-employment income to tax rate changes," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 940-950, December.
- Kevin Moore, 2004. "The effects of the 1986 and 1993 tax reforms on self-employment," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-05, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Emilio Congregado & Antonio Golpe & Simon Parker, 2012.
"The dynamics of entrepreneurship: hysteresis, business cycles and government policy,"
Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 1239-1261, December.
- Congregado, Emilio & Golpe, Antonio A. & Parker, Simon C., 2009. "The Dynamics of Entrepreneurship: Hysteresis, Business Cycles and Government Policy," IZA Discussion Papers 4093, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mark Rider, 2006. "The Effect of Personal Income Tax Rates on Individual and Business Decisions - A Review of the Evidence," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0615, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Ramana Nanda, 2008. "Cost of External Finance and Selection into Entrepreneurship," Harvard Business School Working Papers 08-047, Harvard Business School.
- Gemmell, Norman & Kneller, Richard & McGowan, Danny & Sanz, Ismael & Sanz-Sanz, José F., 2013.
"Corporate Taxation and Productivity Catch-Up: Evidence from European firms,"
Working Paper Series
2705, Victoria University of Wellington, Chair in Public Finance.
- Norman Gemmel & Richard Kneller & Danny McGowan & Ismael Sanz, 2013. "Corporate Taxation and Productivity Catch-Up: Evidence from European Firms," Working Papers 13001, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- José María Millán & Emilio Congregado & Concepción Román, 2010. "Determinants of Self-Employment Dynamics and their Implications on Entrepreneurial Policy Effectiveness," Lecturas de Economía, Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 72, pages 45-76.
- Robert Carroll & Douglas Holtz-Eakin & Mark Rider & Harvey S. Rosen, 2000. "Microdata Panel Data and Public Policy: National and Cross-National Perspectives," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 29, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.