Toward a Theory of Vacancies
AbstractThe authors attempt to further characterize the search strategies of the employer. In this article, they discuss how characteristics of the employer or conditions that the employer faces affect the optimal search strategies and the probability of filling a vacancy in each period. Semiparametric and parametric methods are used to estimate hazard rates of filling vacancies. The results suggest that, for the given sample of vacancies, the general form of the hazard function is nonmonotonic. Additionally, the results suggest that those employers who have advance notice of the vacancy may search longer than those employers who do not. Copyright 1998 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Welters, Riccardo & Muysken, Joan, 2008.
"Inferring employer search behaviour from wage subsidy participation,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-23106, Maastricht University.
- Welters, Riccardo & Muysken, Joan, 2008. "Inferring Employer Search Behaviour from Wage Subsidy Participation," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 844-858, October.
- Eran Yashiv, 2005.
"Evaluating the Performance of the Search and Matching Model,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0677, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Yashiv, Eran, 2006. "Evaluating the performance of the search and matching model," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 909-936, May.
- Yashiv, Eran, 2006. "Evaluating the Performance of the Search and Matching Model," IZA Discussion Papers 1931, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Russo, Giovanni & Gorter, Cees & Schettkat, Ronald, 2001. "Searching, hiring and labour market conditions," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 553-571, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.