AbstractThis article incorporates contract reopeners into the analysis of contract duration and compares contracts with a reopener to contracts that cannot be reopened. The model contains relative and nominal shocks. It is shown that the stated duration of a reopenable contract is shortened by uncertainty associated with small shocks but lengthened by uncertainty associated with large shocks. However, the discounted expected duration decreases with the uncertainty associated with both small and large shocks. There exists a critical size of a large shock for which a reopenable contract and a contract with an immutable duration are equally attractive. Copyright 1995 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Danziger, Leif, 1995. "Discrete shocks and fixed duration of labor contracts," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 359-379, December.
- Danziger, Leif, 2006.
"Extension of Labor Contracts and Optimal Backpay,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2366, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Leif Danziger & Shoshana Neuman, 2005.
"Delays in Renewal of Labor Contracts: Theory and Evidence,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(2), pages 341-372, April.
- Danziger, Leif & Neuman, Shoshana, 2003. "Delays in Renewal of Labor Contracts: Theory and Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 709, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Helge Holden & Lars Holden & Steinar Holden, 2005.
"Contract Adjustment under Uncertainty,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1472, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andersen, Torben M. & Stampe Christensen, Morten, 2002. "Contract renewal under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 637-652, April.
- Hanes, Christopher, 2010. "The rise and fall of the sliding scale, or why wages are no longer indexed to product prices," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 49-67, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.