The Determinants of Wage Changes in Indexed.and Nonindexed Contracts: A Switching Model
AbstractWage changes in a sample (1979-86) of Canadian wage contracts are analyzed. The sample is split into cost-of-living allowance (COLA) and non-COLA contracts. Econometric estimation corrects for sample selectivity bias. In non-COLA contracts, the unemployment rate and a proxy for expected inflation are significant. Expected industry price changes and productivity changes exert smaller but significant effects. In COLA contracts, ex ante inflation coverage ranges between 60 percent and 100 percent of expected inflation. Catch-up for previous uncompensated.inflation, the unemployment rate, and expected inflation are also significant. A common wage structure across COLA and non-COLA contracts is rejected by the data. Copyright 1992 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (1992)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Louis Christofides & Chen Peng, 2006. "Major Provisions of Labour Contracts and their Theoretical Coherence," CESifo Working Paper Series 1700, CESifo Group Munich.
- Murphy, Kevin J., 2000. "What effect does uncertainty have on the length of labor contracts?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 181-201, March.
- J. Ignacio García-Pérez & Marisa Hidalgo-Hidalgo & J. Antonio Robles-Zurita, 2011.
"Does grade retention affect achievement? Some evidence from Pisa,"
2011/37, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- J. Ignacio García-Pérez & Marisa Hidalgo-Hidalgo & J. Antonio Robles-Zurita, 2011. "Does grade retention affect achievement? Some evidence from PISA," Working Papers 11.09, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- J. Ignacio García-Pérez & Marisa Hidalgo-Hidalgo & J. Antonio Robles-Zurita, 2011. "Does grade retention affect achievement? Some evidence from PISA," Working Papers XREAP2011-18, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Nov 2011.
- J. Ignacio García-Pérez & Juan F. Jimeno, 2006.
"Public sector wage gaps in Spanish regions,"
06.10, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Ghosal, Vivek & Loungani, Prakash, 1996.
"Evidence on Nominal Wage Rigidity from a Panel of U.S. Manufacturing Industries,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 650-68, November.
- Vivek Ghosal & Prakash Loungani, 1995. "Evidence on nominal wage rigidity from a panel of U.S. manufacturing industries," International Finance Discussion Papers 512, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.