An Expanded Conceptualization and a New Measure of Compulsive Buying
AbstractDrawing on the theoretical foundation of obsessive-compulsive spectrum disorder, this article develops an expanded conceptualization and new measure of consumers' proclivity to buy compulsively. Compulsive buying is defined as a consumer's tendency to be preoccupied with buying that is revealed through repetitive buying and a lack of impulse control over buying. This measure includes dimensions of both obsessive-compulsive and impulse-control disorders. By measuring income-dependent items or consequences of compulsive buying separately from the compulsive-buying scale, we develop a measure that has a strong theoretical foundation, well-documented psychometric properties, and an ability to be applied to general consumer populations. (c) 2008 by JOURNAL OF CONSUMER RESEARCH, Inc..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 35 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gerhard Raab & Christian Elger & Michael Neuner & Bernd Weber, 2011. "A Neurological Study of Compulsive Buying Behaviour," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 401-413, December.
- E. Telci, 2013. "High shopping mall patronage: is there a dark side?," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 47(5), pages 2517-2528, August.
- Csilla HorvÃ¡th & Feray AdigÃ¼zel & Hester van Herk, 2013. "Cultural Aspects Of Compulsive Buying In Emerging And Developed Economies: A Cross Cultural Study In Compulsive Buying," Organizations and Markets in Emerging Economies, Faculty of Economics, Vilnius University, vol. 4(2).
- Martin, Ingrid M. & Kamins, Michael A. & Pirouz, Dante M. & Davis, Scott W. & Haws, Kelly L. & Mirabito, Ann M. & Mukherjee, Sayantani & Rapp, Justine M. & Grover, Aditi, 2013. "On the road to addiction: The facilitative and preventive roles of marketing cues," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(8), pages 1219-1226.
- Sunghwan Yi, 2012. "Shame-Proneness as a Risk Factor of Compulsive Buying," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 393-410, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.