The Development of Self-Brand Connections in Children and Adolescents
AbstractIndividuals use brands to create and communicate their self-concepts, thereby creating self-brand connections. Although this phenomenon is well documented among adult consumers, we know very little about the role of brands in defining, expressing, and communicating self-concepts in children and adolescents. In this article, we examine the age at which children begin to incorporate brands into their self-concepts and how these self-brand connections change in qualitative ways as children move into adolescence. In three studies with children 8-18 yr. of age, we find that self-brand connections develop in number and sophistication between middle childhood and early adolescence. (c) 2005 by JOURNAL OF CONSUMER RESEARCH, Inc..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 32 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hogg, Margaret K. & Banister, Emma N. & Stephenson, Christopher A., 2009. "Mapping symbolic (anti-) consumption," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 148-159, February.
- Lan Chaplin, 2009. "Please May I Have a Bike? Better Yet, May I Have a Hug? An Examination of Children’s and Adolescents’ Happiness," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 10(5), pages 541-562, October.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/3624 is not listed on IDEAS
- Park, C. Whan & Eisingerich, Andreas B. & Pol, Gratiana & Park, Jason Whan, 2013. "The role of brand logos in firm performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 180-187.
- Benmoyal-Bouzaglo, Sarah & Guiot, Denis, 2009. "Les produits à destination des adolescents : consommation symbolique des marques ou consommation symbolique des produits?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/3624, Paris Dauphine University.
- Veloutsou, Cleopatra & Moutinho, Luiz, 2009. "Brand relationships through brand reputation and brand tribalism," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 314-322, March.
- Reed, Americus & Forehand, Mark & Puntoni, Stefano & Warlop, Luk, 2012. "Identity-based consumer behavior," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/357429, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Czellar, Sandor & Sprott, David E. & Spangenberg, Eric R. & Raska, David, 2009. "Consumer reactions to self-expressive brand display," Les Cahiers de Recherche 918, HEC Paris.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.