Consumer Culture Theory (CCT): Twenty Years of Research
AbstractThis article provides a synthesizing overview of the past 20 yr. of consumer research addressing the sociocultural, experiential, symbolic, and ideological aspects of consumption. Our aim is to provide a viable disciplinary brand for this research tradition that we call consumer culture theory (CCT). We propose that CCT has fulfilled recurrent calls for developing a distinctive body of theoretical knowledge about consumption and marketplace behaviors. In developing this argument, we redress three enduring misconceptions about the nature and analytic orientation of CCT. We then assess how CCT has contributed to consumer research by illuminating the cultural dimensions of the consumption cycle and by developing novel theorizations concerning four thematic domains of research interest. (c) 2005 by JOURNAL OF CONSUMER RESEARCH, Inc..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 31 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Spiggle, Susan, 2008. "Making connections: Partner quality, identity, and community," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(5), pages 455-456, May.
- Bettany, Shona & Daly, Rory, 2008. "Figuring companion-species consumption: A multi-site ethnography of the post-canine Afghan hound," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(5), pages 408-418, May.
- Healy, Jason C. & McDonagh, Pierre, 2013. "Consumer roles in brand culture and value co-creation in virtual communities," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(9), pages 1528-1540.
- O'Shaughnessy, Nicholas, 2008. "Romancing Alpacas: A commentary," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(5), pages 509-511, May.
- Gould, Stephen J., 2012. "The emergence of Consumer Introspection Theory (CIT): Introduction to a JBR special issue," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(4), pages 453-460.
- Cecilia Solér, 2012. "Conceptualizing Sustainably Produced Food for Promotional Purposes: A Sustainable Marketing Approach," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 4(3), pages 294-340, March.
- Stéphane Debenedetti & Alain Debenedetti & Rémi Mencarelli, 2011. "Une approche CCT de l'expérience muséale chez les jeunes adultes: le modèle de Falk," Post-Print halshs-00635794, HAL.
- Brownlie, Douglas, 2008. "Relationship climate canaries: A commentary Mosteller (2007) inspires," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(5), pages 522-524, May.
- Thomas Anker & Peter Sandøe & Tanja Kamin & Klemens Kappel, 2011. "Health Branding Ethics," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 104(1), pages 33-45, November.
- Tiwsakul, Rungpaka Amy & Hackley, Chris, 2012. "Postmodern paradoxes in Thai-Asian consumer identity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(4), pages 490-496.
- Bodkin, Charles D. & Amato, Christie & Peters, Cara, 2009. "The role of conflict, culture, and myth in creating attitudinal commitment," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(10), pages 1013-1019, October.
- Brijs, Kris & Bloemer, Josée & Kasper, Hans, 2011. "Country-image discourse model: Unraveling meaning, structure, and function of country images," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(12), pages 1259-1269.
- Mădălina Moraru, 2012. "Romanian Advertising between Specificity and Globalization. A Comparative Analysis of Local and International Brands," Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, ScientificPapers.org, vol. 2(6), pages 11, December.
- Greenacre, Luke & Freeman, Lynne & Donald, Melissa, 2013. "Contrasting social network and tribal theories: An applied perspective," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(7), pages 948-954.
- Blocker, Christopher P. & Ruth, Julie A. & Sridharan, Srinivas & Beckwith, Colin & Ekici, Ahmet & Goudie-Hutton, Martina & Rosa, José Antonio & Saatcioglu, Bige & Talukdar, Debabrata & Trujillo, Carl, 2013. "Understanding poverty and promoting poverty alleviation through transformative consumer research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(8), pages 1195-1202.
- B. Vandecasteele & M. Geuens, 2008. "Motivated Consumer Innovativeness: Concept and Measurement," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 08/532, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Okazaki, Shintaro & Taylor, Charles R. & Doh, Jonathan P., 2007. "Market convergence and advertising standardization in the European Union," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 384-400, December.
- Ko, Eunju & Taylor, Charles R. & Sung, Heewon & Lee, Jooyeon & Wagner, Udo & Navarro, David Martin-Consuegra & Wang, Fanghua, 2012. "Global marketing segmentation usefulness in the sportswear industry," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(11), pages 1565-1575.
- Banbury, Catherine & Stinerock, Robert & Subrahmanyan, Saroja, 2012. "Sustainable consumption: Introspecting across multiple lived cultures," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(4), pages 497-503.
- Motley, Carol M. & Henderson, Geraldine Rosa, 2008. "The global hip-hop Diaspora: Understanding the culture," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 243-253, March.
- Crockett, David & Downey, Hilary & Fırat, A. Fuat & Ozanne, Julie L. & Pettigrew, Simone, 2013. "Conceptualizing a transformative research agenda," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(8), pages 1171-1178.
- Kaplan, Andreas M. & Haenlein, Michael, 2009. "The fairyland of Second Life: Virtual social worlds and how to use them," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 563-572, November.
- Ahuvia, Aaron, 2008. "If money doesn't make us happy, why do we act as if it does?," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 491-507, August.
- da Silveira, Catherine & Lages, Carmen & Simões, Cláudia, 2013. "Reconceptualizing brand identity in a dynamic environment," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 28-36.
- Consumer culture theory in Wikipedia (English)
- User:4L14S/Consumer Culture Theory (CCT) in Wikipedia (English)
- نظرية ثقافة المستهلك in Wikipedia (Arabic)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.