Consumer Socialization of Children: A Retrospective Look at Twenty-Five Years of Research
AbstractTwenty-five years of consumer socialization research have yielded an impressive set of findings. The purpose of our article is to review these findings and assess what we know about children's development as consumers. Our focus is on the developmental sequence characterizing the growth of consumer knowledge, skills, and values as children mature throughout childhood and adolescence. In doing so, we present a conceptual framework for understanding consumer socialization as a series of stages, with transitions between stages occurring as children grow older and mature in cognitive and social terms. We then review empirical findings illustrating these stages, including children's knowledge of products, brands, advertising, shopping, pricing, decision-making strategies, parental influence strategies, and consumption motives and values. Based on the evidence reviewed, implications are drawn for future theoretical and empirical development in the field of consumer socialization. Copyright 1999 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 26 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Clinton Gudmunson & Sharon Danes, 2011. "Family Financial Socialization: Theory and Critical Review," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 644-667, December.
- Zain, Ul Abideen & Farooq, Waqas, 2009. "Advertising Message Processing Amongst Urban Children: With Reference To TV Advertising in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 22699, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Jan 2010.
- Péter Nagy & Boglárka Zsótér, 2012. "Our Everyday Emotions and Finances, The role money-related attitudes and materialistic orientation play in developing financial culture," Public Finance Quarterly, State Audit Office of Hungary, vol. 57(3), pages 286-297.
- Downey, Hilary & Ellis, Sarah, 2008. "Tails of animal attraction: Incorporating the feline into the family," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(5), pages 434-441, May.
- LaTour, Kathryn & LaTour, Michael S. & Zinkhan, George M., 2010. "Coke is It: How stories in childhood memories illuminate an icon," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 328-336, March.
- Hogg, Margaret K. & Banister, Emma N. & Stephenson, Christopher A., 2009. "Mapping symbolic (anti-) consumption," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 148-159, February.
- Thakor, Mrugank V. & Goneau-Lessard, Karine, 2009. "Development of a scale to measure skepticism of social advertising among adolescents," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(12), pages 1342-1349, December.
- Grønhøj, Alice & Thøgersen, John, 2012. "Action speaks louder than words: The effect of personal attitudes and family norms on adolescents’ pro-environmental behaviour," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 292-302.
- Brent Berry & Taralyn McMullen, 2008. "Visual communication to children in the supermarket context: Health protective or exploitive?," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 333-348, September.
- Margaret Sherraden & Lissa Johnson & Baorong Guo & William Elliott, 2011. "Financial Capability in Children: Effects of Participation in a School-Based Financial Education and Savings Program," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 385-399, September.
- Gil, Luciana A. & Kwon, Kyoung-Nan & Good, Linda K. & Johnson, Lester W., 2012. "Impact of self on attitudes toward luxury brands among teens," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(10), pages 1425-1433.
- Mason, Marlys J. & Tanner, John F. & Piacentini, Maria & Freeman, Dan & Anastasia, Trena & Batat, Wided & Boland, Wendy & Canbulut, Murad & Drenten, Jenna & Hamby, Anne & Rangan, Priyam & Yang, Zhiyon, 2013. "Advancing a participatory approach for youth risk behavior: Foundations, distinctions, and research directions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(8), pages 1235-1241.
- William T. Harbaugh & Kate Krause & Lise Vesterlund, 2003.
"Learning to Bargain,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2004-9, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Nov 2003.
- Evelyn Toh Bee Hwa Author_Email: email@example.com & Eva Lim Wei Lee & Robin Cheng, 2011. "Generation Y And Choice Of Mobile Service Provider: A Study On Their Purchasing Decisions In Choosing A Mobile Service Provider," 2nd International Conference on Business and Economic Research (2nd ICBER 2011) Proceeding 2011-226, Conference Master Resources.
- Andres Rodriguez Veloso & Diogo Forjado Nunes Hildebrand, 2013. "Visual representation of the buying act by children of high-income families," Brazilian Business Review, Fucape Business School, vol. 10(3), pages 1-33, July.
- Hill, William W. & Beatty, Sharon E., 2011. "A model of adolescents' online consumer self-efficacy (OCSE)," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(10), pages 1025-1033, October.
- Azam, Rehan & Muhammad, Danish & Syed Akbar, Suleman, 2012. "Consumption style among young adults toward their shopping behavior:an empirical study in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 42369, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wesley, Mendes-Da-Silva & Wilson, Toshiro Nakamura & Daniel, Carrasqueira de Moraes, 2011. "A profile of financially at-risk college students from an emerging market," MPRA Paper 31726, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ana Côrte-Real & Paulo Lencastre, 2009. "CHILDREN THOUGHTS about BRANDS," Working Papers de GestÃ£o (Management Working Papers) 10, Faculdade de Economia e Gestão, Universidade Católica Portuguesa (Porto).
- Palan, Kay M. & Gentina, Elodie & Muratore, Isabelle, 2010. "Adolescent consumption autonomy: A cross-cultural examination," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(12), pages 1342-1348, December.
- Chan, Kara & McNeal, James U., 2006. "Chinese children's understanding of commercial communications: A comparison of cognitive development and social learning models," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 36-56, February.
- Bao, Yeqing & Fern, Edward F. & Sheng, Shibin, 2007. "Parental style and adolescent influence in family consumption decisions: An integrative approach," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(7), pages 672-680, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.