Country of Origin as a Stereotype: Effects of Consumer Expertise and Attribute Strength on Product Evaluations
AbstractThis research identifies consumer expertise and the type of attribute information as moderating the effects of country of origin on product evaluations. When attribute information was unambiguous, experts based their evaluations on attribute strength, whereas novices relied on country of origin. When attribute information was ambiguous, both experts and novices used country of origin in evaluations. Also, experts and novices used county of origin differently in evaluations. Experts used country of origin to selectively process and recall attribute information, whereas novices used it to differentially interpret subsequent attribute information. The findings are discussed within the framework of stereotyping. Copyright 1994 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 21 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- A. Reuber & Eileen Fischer, 2010. "Organizations Behaving Badly: When Are Discreditable Actions Likely to Damage Organizational Reputation?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 93(1), pages 39-50, April.
- Maurer, Steven D. & Liu, Yuping, 2007. "Developing effective e-recruiting websites: Insights for managers from marketers," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 305-314.
- CZELLAR, Sandor & VOYER, Benjamin & SCHWOB, Alexandre & LUNA, David, 2008. "Whence brand evaluations ? Investigating the relevance of personal and extrapersonal associations in brand attitudes," Les Cahiers de Recherche 890, HEC Paris.
- Moon, B. J. & Jain, S. C., 2002. "Consumer processing of foreign advertisements: roles of country-of-origin perceptions, consumer ethnocentrism, and country attitude," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 117-138, April.
- Jean Philippe Perrouty & François d'Hauteville & Larry Lockshin, 2006. "The influence of wine attributes on region of origin equity: An analysis of the moderating effect of consumer's perceived expertise," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 323-341.
- Jiménez, Nadia Huitzilin & San Martín, Sonia, 2010. "The role of country-of-origin, ethnocentrism and animosity in promoting consumer trust. The moderating role of familiarity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 34-45, February.
- Czellar, Sandor & Luna, David, 2007. "The Effect of Expertise on the Relation between Implicit and Explicit Attitude Measures:An formation Availability/Accessibility Perspective," Les Cahiers de Recherche 877, HEC Paris.
- McKendree, Melissa G.S. & Ortega, David L. & Widmar, Nicole Olynk & Wang, H. Holly, 2013. "Consumer Perceptions of Seafood Industries in the Wake of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Disaster," Staff Papers 155582, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Krystallis, Athanasios & Chryssochoidis, George M., 2006. "Does the country-of-origin (COO) of food products influence consumer evaluations? An empirical examination of ham and cheese," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10027, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Amine, Lyn Suzanne, 2008. "Country-of-origin, animosity and consumer response: Marketing implications of anti-Americanism and Francophobia," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 402-422, August.
- Fong, John & Burton, Suzan, 2008. "A cross-cultural comparison of electronic word-of-mouth and country-of-origin effects," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 233-242, March.
- Veale, Roberta & Quester, Pascale, 2009. "Do consumer expectations match experience? Predicting the influence of price and country of origin on perceptions of product quality," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 134-144, April.
- Larceneux, Fabrice & Carpenter, Marie, 2008. "Third party labeling and the consumer decision process," Les Cahiers de Recherche 891, HEC Paris.
- Cristel Russell & Dale Russell, 2010. "Guilty by stereotypic association: Country animosity and brand prejudice and discrimination," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 413-425, December.
- Story, John W., 2005. "The effects of perceived technological incongruence on perceptions of fit between countries, products, and attributes," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(10), pages 1310-1319, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.