Adolescent Skepticism toward TV Advertising and Knowledge of Advertiser Tactics
AbstractA longitudinal study of middle school students examined adolescents' skepticism toward advertising and their beliefs about the persuasive tactics advertisers employ. Comparisons across grade levels and over the course of the school year indicated that knowledge about advertiser tactics developed in the direction of adult understanding. Skeptical attitudes toward advertisers' motives showed no differences across grade levels; however, students generally became more disbelieving of advertising claims as the school year progressed. The level of skepticism toward advertising was high and was positively related to having a more adult understanding of advertising tactics. Copyright 1994 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 21 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Szucs, Robert Sandor, 2012. "The Responsibility Of Marketing And Legislation In Childhood Obesity," APSTRACT: Applied Studies in Agribusiness and Commerce, AGRIMBA, vol. 6(5).
- Becker-Olsen, Karen L. & Cudmore, B. Andrew & Hill, Ronald Paul, 2006. "The impact of perceived corporate social responsibility on consumer behavior," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 46-53, January.
- Szucs, Robert Sandor & Csapo, Zsolt, 2010. "The effect of childhood obesity on social welfare," 120th Seminar, September 2-4, 2010, Chania, Crete 109404, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Thakor, Mrugank V. & Goneau-Lessard, Karine, 2009. "Development of a scale to measure skepticism of social advertising among adolescents," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(12), pages 1342-1349, December.
- Parguel, Béatrice & Benoît-Moreau, Florence, 2007. "Communication sociétale et capital-marque," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2481, Paris Dauphine University.
- Grier, Sonya A. & Forehand, Mark R., 2002. "When Is Honesty The Best Policy? The Effect of Stated Company Intent on Consumer Skepticism," Research Papers 1665r, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Chan, Kara & McNeal, James U., 2006. "Chinese children's understanding of commercial communications: A comparison of cognitive development and social learning models," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 36-56, February.
- Hasan, Dr. Syed Akif & Subhani, Muhammad Imtiaz, 2011. "Effects of Deceptive Advertising on Consumer Loyalty in Telecommunication Industry of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 34756, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Skarmeas, Dionysis & Leonidou, Constantinos N., 2013. "When consumers doubt, Watch out! The role of CSR skepticism," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(10), pages 1831-1838.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.