The Effects of Mood, Involvement, and Quality of Store Experience on Shopping Intentions
AbstractThis article proposes that consumer mood, involvement level, and the quality of the shopping experience have significant effects on shopping intentions. Results from a laboratory experiment reveal that mood interacts with involvement and shopping experience. Involved subjects are found to magnify their evaluations of the shopping experience, subjects in good moods evaluate good experiences still better, and a bad shopping experience appears to cause mood-protection mechanisms to fail. Finally, consumer mood is shown to be affected by a bad shopping experience. Copyright 1993 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 20 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Babin, Barry J. & Babin, Laurie, 2001. "Seeking something different? A model of schema typicality, consumer affect, purchase intentions and perceived shopping value," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 89-96, November.
- Drichoutis, Andreas & Nayga, Rodolfo, 2010.
"Eliciting risk and time preferences under induced mood states,"
33013, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 27 Aug 2011.
- Drichoutis, Andreas C. & Nayga, Rodolfo M., 2013. "Eliciting risk and time preferences under induced mood states," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 18-27.
- Drichoutis, Andreas & Nayga, Rodolfo, 2010. "Eliciting risk and time preferences under induced mood states," MPRA Paper 25731, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erevelles, Sunil, 1998. "The Role of Affect in Marketing," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 199-215, July.
- Luomala, Harri T. & Laaksonen, Martti, 1997. "Mood-regulatory self-gifts: Development of a conceptual framework," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 407-434, June.
- Shao, Chris Y. & Baker, Julie A. & Wagner, Judy, 2004. "The effects of appropriateness of service contact personnel dress on customer expectations of service quality and purchase intention: The moderating influences of involvement and gender," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(10), pages 1164-1176, October.
- Desai, Kalpesh Kaushik & Mahajan, Vijay, 1998. "Strategic Role of Affect-Based Attitudes in the Acquisition, Development, and Retention of Customers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 309-324, July.
- Puccinelli, Nancy M. & Deshpande, Rohit & Isen, Alice M., 2007. "Should I stay or should I go? Mood congruity, self-monitoring and retail context preference," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(6), pages 640-648, June.
- Drichoutis, Andreas & Nayga, Rodolfo & Klonaris, Stathis, 2010. "The Effects of Induced Mood on Preference Reversals and Bidding Behavior in Experimental Auction Valuation," MPRA Paper 25597, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Soni, Mayank Jyotsna, . "Advertisement Placement in TV Programs: Different Roles of ELM and Mood Protection Mechanism," IIMA Working Papers WP2013-03-02, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Compeau, Larry D. & Grewal, Dhruv & Monroe, Kent B., 1998. "Role of Prior Affect and Sensory Cues on Consumers' Affective and Cognitive Responses and Overall Perceptions of Quality," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 295-308, July.
- Derbaix, C. & Pecheux, C., 1999. "Mood and children: Proposition of a measurement scale," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 571-591, October.
- Venkatesh, Viswanath & Speier, Cheri, 1999. "Computer Technology Training in the Workplace: A Longitudinal Investigation of the Effect of Mood, ," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 1-28, July.
- Morgan, Robert E. & Katsikeas, Constantine S., 1997. "Export stimuli: Export intention compared with export activity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(5), pages 477-499, October.
- Yoo, Changjo & Park, Jonghee & MacInnis, Deborah J., 1998. "Effects of Store Characteristics and In-Store Emotional Experiences on Store Attitude," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 253-263, July.
- Jones, Michael A. & Reynolds, Kristy E. & Arnold, Mark J., 2006. "Hedonic and utilitarian shopping value: Investigating differential effects on retail outcomes," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(9), pages 974-981, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.