A Model of Consumers' Preventive Health Behaviors: The Role of Health Motivation and Health Ability
AbstractThis article develops and tests a model of the individual and joint effects of various consumer characteristics on health information acquisition behaviors (e.g., using media sources) and health maintenance behaviors (e.g., restricting diet). Theory development overviews the interdisciplinary literature on health and proposes that health motivation independently influences consumers' preventive health behaviors while the effect of health ability on health behaviors is moderated by the level of health motivation. This theory is tested in a survey of 404 consumers. Results indicate that the interaction of health ability and health motivation affects consumers' health behaviors. However, mixed results suggest that high levels of ability and motivation are not always critical precursors of health behaviors; instead, the impact of these characteristics depends on the particular health behavior and the specific health ability characteristic. Implications for theory and practice are discussed. Copyright 1993 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 20 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wansink, Brian & Park, Sea Bum & Sonka, Steven T. & Morganosky, Michelle A., 2000. "How Soy Labeling Influences Preference And Taste," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 3(01).
- Balasubramanian, Siva K. & Moon, Wanki & Rimal, Arbindra & Coker, Kesha, 2009. "Antecedents Factors that Influence Soy Consumption: A Structural Equation Modeling Approach," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49593, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Rimal, Arbindra & Moon, Wanki, 2009. "Self efficacy as a mediator of the relationship between dietary knowledge and behavior," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46742, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Maille, Virginie & Hoffmann, Jonas, 2013. "Compliance with veterinary prescriptions: The role of physical and social risk revisited," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 141-144.
- Hausman, Angela, 2012. "Hedonistic rationality: Healthy food consumption choice using muddling-through," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(6), pages 794-801.
- Variyam, Jayachandran N. & Blaylock, James & Smallwood, David & Basiotis, P. Peter, 1998. "USDA's Healthy Eating Index and Nutrition Information," Technical Bulletins 156811, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Shin, Youngsun, 2008. "Examining the Link between Visitors' Motivations and Convention Destination Image," MPRA Paper 25287, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 17 Feb 2009.
- Rimal, Arbindra & Moon, Wanki & Balasubramanian, Siva K. & Miljkovic, Dragan, 2011. "Self Efficacy as a Mediator of the Relationship between Dietary Knowledge and Behavior," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 42(3), November.
- L. Balbo & M.L. Gavard-Perret, 2010. "L'utilisation du cadrage des conséquences au sein des messages de sante publique : bilan et perspectives pour la recherche en marketing," Post-Print halshs-00534782, HAL.
- Rimal, Arbindra & Balasubramanian, Siva K. & Moon, Wanki, 2004. "Two-Stage Decision Model Of Soy Food Consumption Behavior," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20096, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Wendel,Sonja & Dellaert,Benedict G.C., 2005. "Situation Variation in Consumers’ Media Channel Consideration," Research Memoranda 005, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Hoefkens, Christine & Veettil, Prakashan Chellattan & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido & Van Camp, John & Verbeke, Wim, 2012. "What nutrition label to use in a catering environment? A discrete choice experiment," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 741-750.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.