Caution in the Use of Difference Scores in Consumer Research
AbstractThis article illustrates the common use of difference scores in consumer research and discusses a number of potential problems with using them. Difference scores often have problems in the areas of reliability, discus validity, spurious correlations, and variance restriction. The article concludes that difference scores should generally not be used in consumer research and offers alternatives that overcome their limitations. Copyright 1993 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 19 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joseph Balloun & Gary Klein, 1997. "A difference which makes a difference," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 317-324, August.
- Yoon, Mahn Hee & Suh, Jaebeom, 2003. "Organizational citizenship behaviors and service quality as external effectiveness of contact employees," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(8), pages 597-611, August.
- World Bank, 2012. "Quality Perception in Utility Provision : A Conceptual and Empirical Approach," World Bank Other Operational Studies 13007, The World Bank.
- Sparks, John R. & Areni, Charles S., 2002. "The effects of sales presentation quality and initial perceptions on persuasion: a multiple role perspective," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 517-528, June.
- D. Vandaele & P. Gemmel, 2004. "Development of a measurement scale for business-to-business service quality: assessment in the facility services sector," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/259, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Boerkamp, Ellis J. C. & Reuijl, Jan C. & Haaijer-Ruskamp, Flora M., 1997. "The pharmacist as a drug information supplier in hospitals: A view from services marketing," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 207-218, November.
- Brown, Susan A. & Venkatesh, Viswanath & Kuruzovich, Jason & Massey, Anne P., 2008. "Expectation confirmation: An examination of three competing models," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 52-66, January.
- Homburg, Christian & Rudolph, Bettina, 2001. "Customer satisfaction in industrial markets: dimensional and multiple role issues," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 15-33, April.
- Yoshida, Masayuki & James, Jeffrey D., 2011. "Service quality at sporting events: Is aesthetic quality a missing dimension?," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 13-24, February.
- Johnson, Michael D. & Nader, Georg & Fornell, Claes, 1996. "Expectations, perceived performance, and customer satisfaction for a complex service: The case of bank loans," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 163-182, April.
- Andreas Kakouris & Elina Meliou, 2011. "New Public Management: Promote the Public Sector Modernization Through Service Quality. Current Experiences and Future Challenges," Public Organization Review, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 351-369, December.
- Rosanna Giannoccaro & Nicola Costantino & A. Ludovico & Roberto Pietroforte, 2008. "Measuring Citizen Satisfaction with Aspects of Public Services from a Local Authority and Determining Their Importance: A Case Study," Public Organization Review, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Volker Seiler, 2013. "Comment on Ameriks, Caplin, Leahy & Tyler (2007): Measuring Self-Control Problems," Working Papers 61, University of Paderborn, CIE Center for International Economics.
- Brady, Michael K. & Cronin, J. Jr. & Brand, Richard R., 2002. "Performance-only measurement of service quality: a replication and extension," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 17-31, January.
- Gleitsmann, Sinje & Guttzeit, Mandy & Roschk, Holger, 2010. "Die kundenseitige Wahrnehmung der Servicequalität bei der Nutzung von SST," Ilmenauer Schriften zur Betriebswirtschaftslehre, Technische Universität Ilmenau, Institut für Betriebswirtschaftslehre, volume 3, number 32010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.