The Influence of Familial and Peer-Based Reference Groups on Consumer Decisions
AbstractA replication and extension of a study performed by Bearden and Etzel are reported in this article. The influence of peers on individuals' products and brand decisions for products that range in their degree of conspicuousness is examined for comparable samples in the United States and in Thailand to assess the validity of the original framework over time and across cultural contexts. Further, the influence of the family is addressed through an examination of intergenerational influences across the two cultures. The results of the study lend support to the original theoretical approach and also provide insight into how reference-group influence may vary depending on whether the influence is exercised by a member of a peer group or by a family member. Copyright 1992 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 19 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Herrmann, Andreas & Rossberg, Nadja & Huber, Frank & Landwehr, Jan R. & Henkel, Sven, 2011. "The impact of mimicry on sales - Evidence from field and lab experiments," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 502-514, June.
- Caroline Bayart & Jean-Marie Brignier, 2013. "Etablir une relation de fidélité dans le secteur bancaire : le cas de la cible " étudiants "," Working Papers halshs-00865991, HAL.
- Brockman, Beverly K. & Taylor, Valerie A. & Brockman, Christopher M., 2008. "The price of unconditional love: Consumer decision making for high-dollar veterinary care," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(5), pages 397-405, May.
- Goodrich, Kendall & Mangleburg, Tamara F., 2010. "Adolescent perceptions of parent and peer influences on teen purchase: An application of social power theory," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(12), pages 1328-1335, December.
- Brenner, Lyle & Bilgin, Baler, 2011. "Preference, projection, and packing: Support theory models of judgments of others' preferences," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 121-132, May.
- Georgarakos, Dimitris & Lojschová, Adriana & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie, 2010.
"Mortgage indebtedness and household financial distress,"
Working Paper Series
1156, European Central Bank.
- Georgarakos, Dimitris & Lojschova, Adriana & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie E., 2009. "Mortgage Indebtedness and Household Financial Distress," IZA Discussion Papers 4631, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hendrik van Broekhuizen & Dieter von Fintel, 2010. "Who Responds to Voluntary Cognitive Tests in Household Surveys? The Role of Labour Market Status, Respondent Confidence, Motivation and a Culture of Learning in South Africa," Working Papers 27/2010, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Clinton Gudmunson & Sharon Danes, 2011. "Family Financial Socialization: Theory and Critical Review," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 644-667, December.
- McGrath, Mary Ann & Otnes, Cele, 1995. "Unacquainted influencers: When strangers interact in the retail setting," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 261-272, March.
- Kulviwat, Songpol & Bruner II, Gordon C. & Al-Shuridah, Obaid, 2009. "The role of social influence on adoption of high tech innovations: The moderating effect of public/private consumption," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(7), pages 706-712, July.
- Farah, Maya F. & Newman, Andrew J., 2010. "Exploring consumer boycott intelligence using a socio-cognitive approach," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 347-355, April.
- Veloutsou, Cleopatra & Moutinho, Luiz, 2009. "Brand relationships through brand reputation and brand tribalism," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 314-322, March.
- Lerouge, Davy & Warlop, Luk, 2006. "Why it is so hard to predict our partner's product preferences: The effect of target familiarity on prediction accuracy," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/101168, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Nattavudh Powdthavee, 2009. "How important is rank to individual perception of economic standing? A within-community analysis," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 225-248, September.
- Amilon, Anna, 2009. "Satisfaction and 'comparison sharing': What influences Swedish parents satisfaction with the sharing of parental leave?," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 630-640, August.
- D. F. Benoit & D. Van Den Poel, 2012. "Improving Customer Retention In Financial Services Using Kinship Network Information," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 12/786, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Downey, Hilary & Ellis, Sarah, 2008. "Tails of animal attraction: Incorporating the feline into the family," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(5), pages 434-441, May.
- Joo, Young-Hyuck & Kim, Yunsik & Yang, Suk-Joon, 2011. "Valuing customers for social network services," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(11), pages 1239-1244.
- Hogg, Margaret K. & Banister, Emma N. & Stephenson, Christopher A., 2009. "Mapping symbolic (anti-) consumption," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 148-159, February.
- Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell, 2002. "Income and Well-being," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-019/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- de Ruyter, Ko & Wetzels, Martin, 2000. "With a little help from my fans - Extending models of pro-social behaviour to explain supporters' intentions to buy soccer club shares," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 387-409, August.
- Ferrer-i-Carbonell, Ada, 2005. "Income and well-being: an empirical analysis of the comparison income effect," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(5-6), pages 997-1019, June.
- Lerouge, D & Warlop, Luk, 2006. "Why it is so hard to predict our partner's product preferences : the effect of target familiarity on prediction accuracy," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/228443, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.