A Study of Information Search Behavior during the Categorization of New Products
AbstractConsumers are confronted with hundreds of new products each year, yet little is known about how these new products are integrated into existing knowledge structures. Depending on the new products similarity or dissimilarity to categories stored in memory, consumers information search may be influenced. In this study, consumers' information-seeking behavior was explored during the categorization of new products that differed in varying degrees from preexisting category expectations. Results suggest that subjects manage the cognitive effort of search by limiting breadth of search. However, an inverted-U relationship exists between discrepancy and depth of search. Thus, it appears that, at a moderate level of discrepancy, subjects may examine a relevant set of attributes in greater depth rather than search for information on a broad range of attributes. With high discrepancy, however, it appears that subjects try alternative internal strategies rather than search for more information. Copyright 1992 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 18 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- DeSarbo, Wayne S. & Choi, Jungwhan, 1998. "A latent structure double hurdle regression model for exploring heterogeneity in consumer search patterns," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 423-455, November.
- Simon Blanchard & Wayne DeSarbo & A. Atalay & Nukhet Harmancioglu, 2012. "Identifying consumer heterogeneity in unobserved categories," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 177-194, March.
- Mateja Kos Koklic & Irena Vida, 2009. "A Strategic Household Purchase: Consumer House Buying Behavior," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 7(1), pages 75-96.
- Schoormans, Jan P. L. & Robben, Henry S. J., 1997. "The effect of new package design on product attention, categorization and evaluation," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 271-287, April.
- Mazursky, David, 1998. "The effects of invalidating information on consumers subsequent search patterns," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 261-277, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.