Content-Analysis Research: An Examination of Applications with Directives for Improving Research Reliability and Objectivity
AbstractThis article provides an empirical review and synthesis of published studies that have used content-analysis methods. Harold Kassarjian's critical guidelines for content-analysis research were used to examine the methods employed in 128 studies. The guidelines were expanded by providing an empirical investigation of multiple dimensions of objectivity. Reliability issues were also assessed by examining factors central to the replication and interjudge coefficient calculations. The findings indicate a general need for improvement in the application of content-analysis methods. Suggestions for calculating reliability coefficients and for improving the objectivity and reliability of research are offered. Copyright 1991 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 18 (1991)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hsin-Hsuan Lee & Willemijn Dolen & Ans Kolk, 2013. "On the Role of Social Media in the ‘Responsible’ Food Business: Blogger Buzz on Health and Obesity Issues," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 118(4), pages 695-707, December.
- Ernest Cyril de Run & Hiram Ting, 2013. "Generational cohorts and their attitudes toward advertising," Tržište/Market, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb, vol. 25(2), pages 143-160.
- Murtha, Brian R., 2013. "Peaking at the right time: Perceptions, expectations, and effects," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 62-72.
- Douglas Frechtling & Soyoung Boo, 2012. "On the Ethics of Management Research: An Exploratory Investigation," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 106(2), pages 149-160, March.
- Jones, Marian V. & Coviello, Nicole & Tang, Yee Kwan, 2011. "International Entrepreneurship research (1989–2009): A domain ontology and thematic analysis," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 632-659.
- Harrison, Robert L., 2013. "Using mixed methods designs in the Journal of Business Research, 1990–2010," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(11), pages 2153-2162.
- Harrison, Mary P. & Beatty, Sharon E., 2011. "Anticipating a service experience," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(6), pages 579-585, June.
- Love, Leigh Ann & Sterns, James A. & Spreen, Thomas H. & Wysocki, Allen F., 2006. "When Consumers Diet, Should Producers Care? An Examination of Low-Carb Dieting and U.S. Orange Juice Consumption," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 37(03), November.
- Lumineau, Fabrice & Henderson, James, 2012. "The influence of relational experience and contractual governance on the negotiation strategy in buyer-supplier disputes," MPRA Paper 38510, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Herremans, Irene M. & Ryans, John Jr., 1995. "The case for better measurement and reporting of marketing performance," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 51-60.
- Francesca Checchinato & Cinzia Colapinto & Alice Giusto, 2013. "Advertising in a luxury fashion magazine: a comparison between Italy and China," Working Papers 5, Department of Management, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Enrique Bigné Alcañiz & Alejandro Alvarado Herrera & Rafael Currás Pérez & José Javier Rivera Alcami, 2010. "Latest evolution of academic research in corporate social responsibility: an empirical analysis," Social Responsibility Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(3), pages 332-344, October.
- Pullig, Chris & Maxham, James III & Hair, Joseph Jr., 2002. "Salesforce automation systems: an exploratory examination of organizational factors associated with effective implementation and salesforce productivity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(5), pages 401-415, May.
- Caunhye, Aakil M. & Nie, Xiaofeng & Pokharel, Shaligram, 2012. "Optimization models in emergency logistics: A literature review," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 4-13.
- Kleijnen, Mirella & Lee, Nick & Wetzels, Martin, 2009. "An exploration of consumer resistance to innovation and its antecedents," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 344-357, June.
- Capriello, Antonella & Mason, Peyton R. & Davis, Boyd & Crotts, John C., 2013. "Farm tourism experiences in travel reviews: A cross-comparison of three alternative methods for data analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(6), pages 778-785.
- Konur, Ozcan, 2011. "The scientometric evaluation of the research on the algae and bio-energy," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(10), pages 3532-3540.
- Herbes, Carsten & Ramme, Iris, 2014. "Online marketing of green electricity in Germany—A content analysis of providers’ websites," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 257-266.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.