Effects of Word-of-Mouth and Product-Attribute Information on Persuasion: An Accessibility-Diagnosticity Perspective
AbstractThe effects of word-of-mouth (WOM) communications and specific attribute information on product evaluations were investigated. A face-to-face WOM communication was more persuasive than a printed format (experiment 1). Although a strong WOM effect was found, this effect was reduced or eliminated when a prior impression of the target brand was available from memory or when extremely negative attribute information was presented (experiment 2). The results suggest that diverse, seemingly unrelated judgmental phenomena--such as the vividness effect, the perseverance effect, and the negativity effect--can be explained through the accessibility-diagnosticity model. Copyright 1991 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 17 (1991)
Issue (Month): 4 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrew Gershoff & Ashesh Mukherjee & Anirban Mukhopadhyay, 2006. "“I love it” or “I hate it”? The positivity effect in stated preferences for agent evaluation," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 103-117, April.
- Catherine Janssen & Joëlle Vanhamme & Adam Lindgreen & Cécile Lefebvre, 2014. "The Catch-22 of Responsible Luxury: Effects of Luxury Product Characteristics on Consumers’ Perception of Fit with Corporate Social Responsibility," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 119(1), pages 45-57, January.
- Rajagopal, 2004. "Consumer Perspectives of Brand Extension Effects : Information Analysis Determining the Consumer Behaviour Patterns," Microeconomics 0407004, EconWPA.
- Ho, Jason Y.C. & Dempsey, Melanie, 2010. "Viral marketing: Motivations to forward online content," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(9-10), pages 1000-1006, September.
- Demont, Matty & Rutsaert, Pieter & Ndour, Maimouna & Verbeke, Wim & Seck, Papa Abdoulaye & Tollens, Eric, 2012. "Experimental auctions, collective induction and choice shift: Willingness-to-pay for rice quality in Senegal," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126861, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Scott Wright & Chris Manolis & Drew Brown & Xiaoning Guo & John Dinsmore & C.-Y. Chiu & Frank Kardes, 2012. "Construal-level mind-sets and the perceived validity of marketing claims," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 253-261, March.
- Dongwoo Shin & Ji Song & Abhijit Biswas, 2014. "Electronic word-of-mouth (eWOM) generation in new media platforms: The role of regulatory focus and collective dissonance," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 153-165, June.
- Mai Kikumori & Akinori Ono, 2013. "Paradoxical Relationship between the Amount of Negative eWOM Messages and Positive Consumer Attitude," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2012-035, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Skarmeas, Dionysis & Leonidou, Constantinos N., 2013. "When consumers doubt, Watch out! The role of CSR skepticism," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(10), pages 1831-1838.
- Michael Scholz & Verena Dorner, 2013. "The Recipe for the Perfect Review?," Business & Information Systems Engineering, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 141-151, June.
- Martin, William C. & Lueg, Jason E., 2013. "Modeling word-of-mouth usage," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(7), pages 801-808.
- John Kim & Kenneth York & Jeen-Su Lim, 2011. "The role of brands in recruitment: A mixed-brand strategy approach," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 165-179, June.
- Kuo-Kuang Chu & Chi-Hua Li, 2012. "The study of the effects of identity-related judgment, affective identification and continuance commitment on WOM behavior," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 221-236, January.
- Béatrice Parguel & Florence Benoît-Moreau & Fabrice Larceneux, 2011. "How Sustainability Ratings Might Deter ‘Greenwashing’: A Closer Look at Ethical Corporate Communication," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 102(1), pages 15-28, August.
- Cao, H. Henry & Han, Bing & Hirshleifer, David, 2011. "Taking the road less traveled by: Does conversation eradicate pernicious cascades?," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(4), pages 1418-1436, July.
- Passos, Gisèle, 2013. "La vengeance du consommateur insatisfait sur Internet et l'effet sur les attitudes des autres consommateurs," Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University, number 123456789/11827 edited by Le Nagard, Emmanuelle, September.
- Ivana First & Marija Tomić, 2011. "Formal and Informal Communication Channels in Creating Corporate Brand Image and Preference," Tržište/Market, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb, vol. 23(1), pages 45-61.
- Villanueva, Julian & Yoo, Shijin & Hanssens, Dominique M., 2003. "Impact of acquisition channels on customer equity, The," IESE Research Papers D/516, IESE Business School.
- Jeffery Bray & Nick Johns & David Kilburn, 2011. "An Exploratory Study into the Factors Impeding Ethical Consumption," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 98(4), pages 597-608, February.
- Peter Zubcsek & Miklos Sarvary, 2011. "Advertising to a social network," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 71-107, March.
- Kim, Junyong & Gupta, Pranjal, 2012. "Emotional expressions in online user reviews: How they influence consumers' product evaluations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(7), pages 985-992.
- Inés López López & Salvador Ruiz de Maya, 2012. "When hedonic products help regulate my mood," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 701-717, September.
- Alt, Elisabeth & Gelbrich, Katja, 2009. "Beschwerdebehandlung und Nachbeschwerdeverhalten im interkulturellen Kontext," Ilmenauer Schriften zur Betriebswirtschaftslehre, Technische Universität Ilmenau, Institut für Betriebswirtschaftslehre, volume 1, number 12009.
- Jeffrey Radighieri & Babu John Mariadoss & Yany Grégoire & Jean Johnson, 2014. "Ingredient branding and feedback effects: The impact of product outcomes, initial parent brand strength asymmetry, and parent brand role," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 123-138, June.
- Yang, Shang-Ho & Woods, Timothy A., 2013. "Farm Market Patron Behavioral Response to Food Sampling," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 146711, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.