Multitrait-Multimethod Matrices in Consumer Research
AbstractThis article examines three alternative procedures for analyzing multitrait-multimethod matrices: the Campbell-Fiske procedure, confirmatory factor analysis, and the direct product model. The implicit assumptions, as well as the strengths and weaknesses, of each approach are presented and their implications discussed. It is proposed that one should carefully examine model assumptions, individual parameters, and various diagnostic indicators, as well as overall model fits. The implications of these recommendations are illustrated through reanalyses of data from earlier studies of consumer behavior. Potentially misleading conclusions in these studies are corrected in demonstrations of the three procedures. The results show that methods often have multiplicative effects, a finding that supports the direct product model, which has not been previously used in consumer research. The need for multiple-method, multiple-measure approaches to research is highlighted by examining the limitations of single-method, single-measure approaches to theory testing. Copyright 1991 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 17 (1991)
Issue (Month): 4 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lee, Hanjoon & Park, TaeKyu & Moon, Hyoung Koo & Yang, YongHee & Kim, Chankon, 2009. "Corporate philanthropy, attitude towards corporations, and purchase intentions: A South Korea study," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(10), pages 939-946, October.
- Chung, Henry F.L. & Rose, Ellen & Huang, Pei-how, 2012. "Linking international adaptation strategy, immigrant effect, and performance: The case of home–host and cross-market scenario," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 40-58.
- Pierre Volle & Ahmed Anis Charfi, 2011. "Valeur perçue et comportements en ligne en état d'immersion : le rôle modérateur de l'implication et de l'expertise," Post-Print halshs-00638649, HAL.
- Fakhraddin Maroofi & Mohammad Nazaripour & Shahoo Maaznezhad, 2012. "Investigating the Service Brand, Customers Value and its Perspective," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 2(4), pages 102-118, October.
- Volle, Pierre & Charfi, Ahmed Anis, 2011. "Valeur perçue et comportements en ligne en état d'immersion: le rôle modérateur de l'implication et de l'expertise," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6813, Paris Dauphine University.
- Bagozzi, Richard P. & Yi, Youjae & Nassen, Kent D., 1998. "Representation of measurement error in marketing variables: Review of approaches and extension to three-facet designs," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 393-421, November.
- Sandrine Emin, 2006. "La création d’entreprise:une perspective attractive pour les chercheurs publics?," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 9(3), pages 39-65, September.
- Lee, Sanghyun & Dubinsky, Alan J. & Kim, Juyoung, 2013. "Measuring mediating factors in the use of interpersonal sensitivity in organizations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(9), pages 1285-1291.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.