The Role of Mood in Advertising Effectiveness
AbstractThis study demonstrates the facilitating effect of positive mood on brand attitudes for readers of print advertising and explores contingencies and cognitive processes underlying that effect. Mood appears to affect the amount of total cognitive elaboration, bias the evaluation of argument quality, and peripherally affect brand attitudes. An experiment using print ads reveals that positive moods create less elaboration, which results in more heuristic processing and reduces the extent to which message evaluation--itself favorably influenced by positive moods--mediates brand attitudes. The effect is greater when the reader has a low need for cognition and when the ad contains weak message arguments. Copyright 1990 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 17 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yury Shevchenko & Bettina von Helversen & Benjamin Scheibehenne, 2014. "Change and status quo in decisions with defaults: The effect of incidental emotions depends on the type of default," Judgment and Decision Making, Society for Judgment and Decision Making, vol. 9(3), pages 287-296, May.
- Bailey, James R., 1997. "Need for cognition and response mode in the active construction of an information domain," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 69-85, February.
- Alpert, Mark I. & Alpert, Judy I. & Maltz, Elliot N., 2005. "Purchase occasion influence on the role of music in advertising," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 369-376, March.
- Ruiz, Salvador & Sicilia, Maria, 2004. "The impact of cognitive and/or affective processing styles on consumer response to advertising appeals," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(6), pages 657-664, June.
- Erevelles, Sunil, 1998. "The Role of Affect in Marketing," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 199-215, July.
- Michal Herzenstein & Sanjog Misra & Steven Posavac, 2004. "How Consumers’ Attitudes Toward Direct-to-Consumer Advertising of Prescription Drugs Influence Ad Effectiveness, and Consumer and Physician Behavior," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 201-212, December.
- Béatrice Parguel & Florence Benoît-Moreau, 2013. "The power of 'executional greenwashing'. Evidence from the automotive sector," Post-Print halshs-00948933, HAL.
- Soni, Mayank Jyotsna, . "Advertisement Placement in TV Programs: Different Roles of ELM and Mood Protection Mechanism," IIMA Working Papers WP2013-03-02, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Bartels, Jos & Reinders, Machiel J., 2011. "Consumer innovativeness and its correlates: A propositional inventory for future research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(6), pages 601-609, June.
- Drichoutis, Andreas & Nayga, Rodolfo & Klonaris, Stathis, 2010. "The Effects of Induced Mood on Preference Reversals and Bidding Behavior in Experimental Auction Valuation," MPRA Paper 25597, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martin Eisend, 2011. "How humor in advertising works: A meta-analytic test of alternative models," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 115-132, June.
- Yoo, Changjo & MacInnis, Deborah, 2005. "The brand attitude formation process of emotional and informational ads," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(10), pages 1397-1406, October.
- Inés López López & Salvador Ruiz de Maya, 2012. "When hedonic products help regulate my mood," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 701-717, September.
- Mazodier, Marc & Merunka, Dwight, 2014. "Beyond brand attitude: Individual drivers of purchase for symbolic cobranded products," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(7), pages 1552-1558.
- Desai, Kalpesh Kaushik & Mahajan, Vijay, 1998. "Strategic Role of Affect-Based Attitudes in the Acquisition, Development, and Retention of Customers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 309-324, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.