The Effects of Advertiser Reputation and Extremity of Advertising Claim on Advertising Effectiveness
AbstractA factorial experiment was developed in which the reputation of the advertising firm and the extremity of the adverising claim were manipulated. Two levels of advertiser reputation, focusing on the expertise and trustworthiness of the sponsoring firm, were developed. Claim extremity was structured on a rank-order scale with product claims as first, third, fifth, or twentieth best among 100 competing brands. Product evaluation was significantly influenced by both independent variables and by the interaction between the two. Measures of ad credibility helped provide an explanation for the findings. Copyright 1990 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 17 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Umit Alniacik & Cengiz Yilmaz, 2012. "The Effectiveness of Green Advertising: Influences of Claim Specificity, Product’s Environmental Relevance and Consumers’ Pro-environmental Orientation," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 14(31), pages 207-222, February.
- Tischer, Sven & Hildebrandt, Lutz, 2014. "Linking corporate reputation and shareholder value using the publication of reputation rankings," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(5), pages 1007-1017.
- Lafferty, Barbara A. & Goldsmith, Ronald E., 1999. "Corporate Credibility's Role in Consumers' Attitudes and Purchase Intentions When a High versus a Low Credibility Endorser Is Used in the Ad," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 109-116, February.
- Enrique Alcañiz & Ruben Cáceres & Rafael Pérez, 2010. "Alliances Between Brands and Social Causes: The Influence of Company Credibility on Social Responsibility Image," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 96(2), pages 169-186, October.
- Cotte, June & Coulter, Robin A. & Moore, Melissa, 2005. "Enhancing or disrupting guilt: the role of ad credibility and perceived manipulative intent," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 361-368, March.
- Newell, Stephen J. & Goldsmith, Ronald E., 2001. "The development of a scale to measure perceived corporate credibility," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 235-247, June.
- van Heerde, H.J. & Helsen, K. & Dekimpe, M.G., 2005. "Managing Product-Harm Crises," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-044-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Yu-Shu Peng & Shing-Shiuan Lin, 2008. "Local Responsiveness Pressure, Subsidiary Resources, Green Management Adoption and Subsidiary’s Performance: Evidence from Taiwanese Manufactures," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 79(1), pages 199-212, April.
- Ruth, Julie A. & York, Anne, 2004. "Framing information to enhance corporate reputation: The impact of message source, information type, and reference point," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 14-20, January.
- Castriota, Stefano & Delmastro, Marco, 2008.
"Individual and Collective Reputation: Lessons from the Wine Market,"
45504, American Association of Wine Economists.
- Castriota Stefano & Delmastro Marco, 2010. "Individual and Collective Reputation: Lessons from the Wine Market," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 149-172.
- Bréchet, Alice & Desmet, Pierre & de Pechpeyrou, Pauline, 2005. "Effets de l’annonce d’un prix multidimensionnel sur la confiance dans la marque," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5853, Paris Dauphine University.
- B. Larivière & D. Van Den Poel, 2007.
"Banking behaviour after the lifecycle event of “moving in together”: An exploratory study of the role of marketing investments,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
07/433, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Lariviere, Bart & Van den Poel, Dirk, 2007. "Banking behaviour after the lifecycle event of "moving in together": An exploratory study of the role of marketing investments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 183(1), pages 345-369, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.