Trying to Consume
AbstractAn important but relatively neglected area of consumer behavior--the pursuit of goals--is addressed. Two recent modifications of the Fishbein model are discussed, and an extension is introduced to better explain goal pursuit. Major revisions include (1) specification of three dimensions of attitude--toward success, failure, and the process of trying, (2) the incorporation of self-efficacy judgments as expectations of success and failure, and (3) refinement in the specificity of referents and their correspondence to reflect trying as the focal explanatory concept. Recency and frequency of past trying are independent variables in three models tested with weight loss data. Copyright 1990 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 17 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hausman, Angela, 2012. "Hedonistic rationality: Healthy food consumption choice using muddling-through," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(6), pages 794-801.
- Ian Phau & James Ng, 2010. "Predictors of Usage Intentions of Pirated Software," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 94(1), pages 23-37, June.
- De Cannière, Marie Hélène & De Pelsmacker, Patrick & Geuens, Maggie, 2009.
"Relationship Quality and the Theory of Planned Behavior models of behavioral intentions and purchase behavior,"
Journal of Business Research,
Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 82-92, January.
- M. H. De Cannière & P. De Pelsmacker & M. Geuens, 2008. "Relationship Quality and the Theory of Planned Behavior Models of Behavioral Intentions and Purchase Behavior," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 08/492, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Jouirou, Manel, 2004. "Les facteurs d'utilisation d'une base de connaissances : cas de la Fédération Nationale Léo Lagrange (FNLL)," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2863, Paris Dauphine University.
- Scholderer, Joachim & Grunert, Klaus G., 2005. "Consumers, food and convenience: The long way from resource constraints to actual consumption patterns," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 105-128, February.
- Brannback, Malin & Krueger, Norris & Carsrud, Alan & Elfving, Jennie, 2007. ""Trying" to be Entrepreneurial," MPRA Paper 8814, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jennifer S. Barber, 2011. "The Theory of Planned Behaviour: considering drives, proximity and dynamics," Vienna Yearbook of Population Research, Vienna Institute of Demography (VID) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Vienna, vol. 9(1), pages 31-35.
- Akaah, Ishmael P. & Korgaonkar, Pradeep K. & Lund, Daulatram, 1995. "Direct marketing attitudes," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 211-219, November.
- Lewin, Jeffrey E., 2003. "An empirical investigation of the effects of downsizing on buyer-seller relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 283-293, April.
- Harker, Debra & Sharma, Bishnu & Harker, Michael & Reinhard, Karin, 2010. "Leaving home: Food choice behavior of young German adults," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 111-115, February.
- Grunert, Klaus G. & Bech-Larsen, Tino, 2005. "Explaining choice option attractiveness by beliefs elicited by the laddering method," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 223-241, April.
- repec:hrs:journl::y:2012:v:4:i:3:p:155-172 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elie-dit-Cosaque, Christophe & Kalika, Michel, 2009. "Restrictions technologiques perçues et essai d'innovation avec les TI : le rôle modérateur de l'autonomie," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/8263, Paris Dauphine University.
- Kassaye, W. Wossen & Schumacher, Phyllis P., 1998. "Testing the impact of trying in behavior intervention," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 75-106, February.
- Charalampos A. Botsaris & Vasiliki Vamvaka, 2012. "Models Of The Determinants Of Entrepreneurial Behaviour: A Literature Review," Regional Science Inquiry, Hellenic Association of Regional Scientists, vol. 0(3), pages 155-172, December.
- Bamberg, Sebastian, 2002. "Implementation intention versus monetary incentive comparing the effects of interventions to promote the purchase of organically produced food," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 573-587, October.
- Grewal, Rajdeep & Mehta, Raj & Kardes, Frank R., 2000. "The role of the social-identity function of attitudes in consumer innovativeness and opinion leadership," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 233-252, June.
- Hinsz, Verlin B. & Kalnbach, Lynn R. & Lorentz, Nichole R., 1997. "Using Judgmental Anchors to Establish Challenging Self-Set Goals Without Jeopardizing Commitment," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 287-308, September.
- Lucia Reisch & Clive L Spash & Sabine Bietz, 2008. "Sustainable Consumption and Mass Communication: A German Experiment," Socio-Economics and the Environment in Discussion (SEED) Working Paper Series 2008-12, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.