Contextual Influences on Perceptions of Merchant-Supplied Reference Prices
AbstractTwo contextual variables that have theoretical roots in information processing, attribution, and social judgment theories were manipulated along with three levels of merchant-supplied reference price in a 2 x 2 x 3 analysis of variance design. Results support the hypothesized effects of consistency and distinctiveness as contextual variables that influence internal price standards and purchase evaluations. The three price levels resulted in a curvilinear pattern of results for the purchase evaluation and source credibility dependent variables, as hypothesized. However, contrary to assimilation-contrast theory, the impact of the merchant-supplied reference price on estimates of normal and fair prices was monotonic. Copyright 1989 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Consumer Research.
Volume (Year): 16 (1989)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Johnson, Jennifer Wiggins & Cui, Annie Peng, 2013. "To influence or not to influence: External reference price strategies in pay-what-you-want pricing," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 275-281.
- Bearden, William O. & Carlson, Jay P. & Hardesty, David M., 2003. "Using invoice price information to frame advertised offers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(5), pages 355-366, May.
- Kondo, Hiroyuki, 2004. "Changes in the competition structure in Japan: Their effect on price competition," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 284-290, March.
- Sitzia, Stefania & Zizzo, Daniel John, 2012. "Price lower and then higher or price higher and then lower?," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1084-1099.
- Lapierre, Jozee & Filiatrault, Pierre & Chebat, Jean-Charles, 1999. "Value Strategy Rather Than Quality Strategy: A Case of Business-to-Business Professional Services," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 235-246, June.
- Gaston Breton, Charlotte, 2001. "Biais de jugement et de décision induits par un changement d'unité monétaire (l'Euro) : une approche théorique," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4234, Paris Dauphine University.
- Yasemin Boztug & Lutz Hildebrandt, 2005. "An empirical test of theories of price valuation using a semiparametric approach, reference prices, and accounting for heterogeneity," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2005-057, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Carmen Lee & Roman Kraeussl & André Lucas & Leonard J. Paas, 2008. "A Dynamic Model of Investor Decision-Making: How Adaptation to Losses affects Future Selling Decisions," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-112/2, Tinbergen Institute, revised 02 Sep 2013.
- Newell, Stephen J. & Goldsmith, Ronald E., 2001. "The development of a scale to measure perceived corporate credibility," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 235-247, June.
- Lee, Jaedeock & Ferreira, Mauricio, 2013. "A role of team and organizational identification in the success of cause-related sport marketing," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 161-172.
- Chandrashekaran, Rajesh & Grewal, Dhruv, 2006. "Anchoring effects of advertised reference price and sale price: The moderating role of saving presentation format," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(10-11), pages 1063-1071, October.
- Desmet, Pierre & Le Nagard, Emmanuelle & Vinzi, Vincenzo Esposito, 2012. "Refund depth effects on the impact of price-beating guarantees," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(5), pages 603-608.
- Simonson, Itamar & Drolet, Aimee L., 2003. "Anchoring Effects on Consumers' Willingness-to-Pay and Willingness-to-Accept," Research Papers 1787, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Wen-Bao Lin, 2013. "Factors affecting high-involvement product purchasing behavior," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 47(6), pages 3113-3133, October.
- Luini, Luigi & Sabbatini, Pierluigi, 2012. "Demand cross elasticity without substitutability: An experiment," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 255-265.
- Andrews, Melinda L. & Benedicktus, Ray L. & Brady, Michael K., 2010. "The effect of incentives on customer evaluations of service bundles," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 71-76, January.
- Alford, Bruce L. & Engelland, Brian T., 2000. "Advertised Reference Price Effects on Consumer Price Estimates, Value Perception, and Search Intention," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 93-100, May.
- Raghubir, Priya, 2006. "An information processing review of the subjective value of money and prices," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(10-11), pages 1053-1062, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.