The Determinants of Survival among African Manufacturing Firms
AbstractRecent reforms in many African economies of their trading and exchange rate regimes have eliminated much of the protection that previously limited competition. Despite these reforms, African manufacturing firms remain unsuccessful, particularly in international export markets. In this article we focus on the role of total factor productivity (TFP) in determining whether or not firms can survive in the subsequent period. We use a pooled panel data set of firms in Ghana, Kenya, and Tanzania that spans a period of 5 years. We find that productivity influences subsequent firm survival among large, but not small, firms. We investigate whether this result can be explained by differences in risk or the persistence of TFP. We find no evidence that this is the case. The result may be driven by covariance between the unobserved outside option and the value in remaining in existence that makes optimal exiting for small firms largely independent of productivity in the previous period.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Economic Development and Cultural Change.
Volume (Year): 54 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/EDCC/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shiferaw, Admasu, 2009. "Survival of Private Sector Manufacturing Establishments in Africa: The Role of Productivity and Ownership," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 572-584, March.
- Arne Bigsten & Mans Söderbom, 2006.
"What Have We Learned from a Decade of Manufacturing Enterprise Surveys in Africa?,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 21(2), pages 241-265.
- Bigsten, Arne & Soderbom, Mans, 2005. "What have we learned from a decade of manufacturing enterprise surveys in Africa ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3798, The World Bank.
- Francesca Marchetta, 2012.
"Return Migration and the Survival of Entrepreneurial Activities in Egypt,"
- Marchetta, Francesca, 2012. "Return Migration and the Survival of Entrepreneurial Activities in Egypt," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 1999-2013.
- Francesca MARCHETTA, 2012. "Return Migration and the Survival of Entrepreneurial Activities in Egypt," Working Papers 201217, CERDI.
- Abigail Barr & Pieter Serneels, 2009. "Reciprocity in the workplace," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 99-112, March.
- Waldkirch, Andreas & Ofosu, Andra, 2008.
"Foreign Presence, Spillovers, and Productivity: Evidence from Ghana,"
8577, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Waldkirch, Andreas & Ofosu, Andra, 2010. "Foreign Presence, Spillovers, and Productivity: Evidence from Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 1114-1126, August.
- Pierre Blanchard & Jean-Pierre Huiban & Claude Mathieu, 2012.
"The determinants of firm exit in the French food industries,"
Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement,
INRA Department of Economics, vol. 93(2), pages 193-212.
- Pierre Blanchard & Jean Pierre Huiban & Claude Mathieu, 2012. "The determinants of firm exit in the French food industries," Working Papers 167136, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Pierre Blanchard & Jean-Pierre Huiban & Claude Mathieu, 2012. "The determinants of firm exit in the French food industries," Post-Print hal-00939376, HAL.
- Erol Taymaz & Şule Özler, 2007. "Foreign Ownership, Competition, and Survival Dynamics," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 23-42, August.
- Serneels, Pieter, 2008. "Human capital revisited: The role of experience and education when controlling for performance and cognitive skills," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1143-1161, December.
- Blanchard, Pierre & Huiban, Jean-Pierre & Mathieu, Claude, 2011. "Productivity, sunk costs and firm exit in the French food industry," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114526, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mary Hallward-Driemeier & Bob Rijkers, 2013.
"Do Crises Catalyze Creative Destruction? Firm-level Evidence from Indonesia,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 95(5), pages 1788-1810, December.
- Hallward-Driemeier, Mary & Rijkers, Bob, 2011. "Do crises catalyze creative destruction ? firm-level evidence from Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5869, The World Bank.
- Shiferaw, Admasu & Bedi, Arjun S., 2010.
"The Dynamics of Job Creation and Job Destruction: Is Sub-Saharan Africa Different?,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010
59, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Shiferaw, Admasu & Bedi, Arjun S., 2009. "The Dynamics of Job Creation and Job Destruction: Is Sub-Saharan Africa Different?," IZA Discussion Papers 4623, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Admasu Shiferaw & Arjun Bedi, 2010. "The Dynamics of Job Creation and Job Destruction: Is Sub-Saharan Africa Different?," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 22, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Riadh Ben Jelili, . "Firm Heterogeneity and Productivity: The Contribution of Microdata," API-Working Paper Series 1013, Arab Planning Institute - Kuwait, Information Center.
- Klapper, Leora & Richmond, Christine, 2011.
"Patterns of business creation, survival and growth : evidence from Africa,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5828, The World Bank.
- Klapper, Leora & Richmond, Christine, 2011. "Patterns of business creation, survival and growth: Evidence from Africa," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(S1), pages S32-S44.
- Rooks, Gerrit & Szirmai, Adam & Sserwanga, Arthur, 2009. "The Interplay of Human and Social Capital in Entrepreneurship in Developing Countries: The Case of Keywords: social capital, human capital, entrepreneurship, developing countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.