Political Violence and Farm Household Efficiency in Colombia
AbstractThis article estimates farm household levels of technical efficiency and their determinants in Colombia, with particular reference to political violence (i.e., guerrilla fronts, homicides, kidnappings, and forced population displacements). An input-oriented stochastic frontier is estimated simultaneously with a technical inefficiency model that incorporates an index of political violence at the local level, using survey data from 822 farm households. The findings show that household productivity is lower in areas with high political violence, due mainly to disruptions in rural labor markets and in the operation of large farms. Should political violence be eliminated, the ensuing increases in the Farrell’s technical efficiency indexes of farm households in the sample would increase substantially, pointing to significant peace dividends for rural households in Colombia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Economic Development and Cultural Change.
Volume (Year): 55 (2007)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/EDCC/
Other versions of this item:
- Gonzalez, Maria A & Lopez, Rigoberto A, 2007. "Political Violence and Farm Household Efficiency in Colombia," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(2), pages 367-92, January.
- Gonzalez, Maria A. & Lopez, Rigoberto A., 2005. "Political Violence and Farm Household Efficiency in Colombia," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19528, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Q74 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - - - -
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-86, July.
- Murty, M.N. & Kumar, Surender, 2002. "Measuring the cost of environmentally sustainable industrial development in India: a distance function approach," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 467-486, July.
- Alexander Cotte Poveda, 2001. "The Effects of Socio-Political Instability on the Colombian Productivity:1952-2000," SERIE DE DOCUMENTOS EN ECONOMÃA Y VIOLENCIA 003589, CENTRO DE INVESTIGACIONES EN VIOLENCIA,INSTITUCIONES Y DESARROLLO ECONÓMICO (VIDE).
- Alesina, Alberto & Perotti, Roberto, 1996.
"Income distribution, political instability, and investment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1203-1228, June.
- Alberto Alesina & Roberto Perotti, 1993. "Income Distribution, Political Instability, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 4486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dinar, Ariel & Keck, Andrew, 1997. "Private irrigation investment in Colombia: effects of violence, macroeconomic policy, and environmental conditions," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Coelli, Tim & Perelman, Sergio, 1999. "A comparison of parametric and non-parametric distance functions: With application to European railways," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 326-339, September.
- K. P. Kalirajan, 1989. "On Measuring the Contribution of Human Capital to Agricultural Production," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 24(2), pages 247-261, July.
- Mauricio CARDENAS SANTAMARIA, 2002.
"Economic growth in Colombia: A reversal of Fortune,"
ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÃA
002402, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Mauricio Cárdenas, 2007. "Economic Growth In Colombia:A Reversal Of ‘Fortune’?," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Tsekouras, Kostas D. & Pantzios, Christos J. & Karagiannis, Giannis, 2004. "Malmquist productivity index estimation with zero-value variables: The case of Greek prefectural training councils," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 95-106, May.
- Kodde, David A. & Palm, Franz C., 1986.
"Wald criteria for jointly testing equality and inequality restrictions,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-5750, Maastricht University.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
- Carlos Bozzoli & Tilman Brück & Tony Muhumuza, 2012. "Movers or Stayers? Understanding the Drivers of IDP Camp Decongestion during Post-Conflict Recovery in Uganda," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1197, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Pieter Serneels & Marijke Verpoorten, 2012.
"The impact of armed conflict on economic performance: Evidence from Rwanda,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2012-10, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Pieter Serneels & Marijke Verpoorten, 2012. "The Impact of armed conflict on economic performance Evidence from Rwanda," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2012-10, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Serneels, Pieter & Verpoorten, Marijke, 2012. "The Impact of Armed Conflict on Economic Performance: Evidence from Rwanda," IZA Discussion Papers 6737, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Serneels , Pieter & Verpoorten , Marijke, 2012. "The impact of armed conflict on economic performance. Evidence from Rwanda," NEPS Working Papers 5/2012, Network of European Peace Scientists.
- Patricia Justino, 2009.
"The Impact of Armed Civil Conflict on Household Welfare and Policy Responses,"
HiCN Working Papers
61, Households in Conflict Network.
- Patricia Justino, 2009. "The Impact of Armed Civil Conflict on Household Welfare and Policy Responses," Research Working Papers 12, MICROCON - A Micro Level Analysis of Violent Conflict.
- Abid A. Burki & Mushtaq A. Khan, 2008. "Milk Supply Chain and Efficiency of Smallholder Dairy Producers in Pakistan," Microeconomics Working Papers 22252, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Verpoorten, Marijke, 2011.
"Measure for Measure: How Well Do We Measure Micro-level Conflict Intensity?,"
IOB Working Papers
2011.08, Universiteit Antwerpen, Institute of Development Policy and Management (IOB).
- Marijke Verpoorten, 2011. "Measure for Measure: How Well Do We Measure Micro-Level Conflict Intensity?," LICOS Discussion Papers 27511, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Verpoorten, Marijke, 2011. "Measure for measure: how well do we measure micro-level conflict intensity?," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/301501, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Marijke Verpoorten, 2010.
"The intensity of the Rwandan genocide: Fine measures from the gacaca records,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
25610, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Verpoorten, Marijke, 2010. "The intensity of the Rwandan genocide: fine measures from the Gacaca records," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/284379, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Chang, Hung-Hao & Boisvert, Richard N., 2009. "The Conservation Reserve Program, Off-Farm Work, and Farm Household Technical Efficiencies," Working Papers 57034, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.