Fitting and interpreting Cragg's tobit alternative using Stata
AbstractIn this article, I introduce the user-written command craggit, which simultaneously fits both tiers of Craggâ€™s (1971, Econometrica 39: 829â€“844) "two- tier" (sometimes called "two-stage" or "double-hurdle") alternative to tobit for corner-solution models. A key limitation to the tobit model is that the probability of a positive value and the actual value, given that it is positive, are determined by the same underlying process (i.e., the same parameters). Cragg proposed a more flexible alternative that allows these outcomes to be determined by separate processes through the incorporation of a probit model in the first tier and a truncated normal model in the second. Also, tobit is nested in craggit, making the latter a popular choice among "two-tier" models. In the article, I also present postestimation syntax to facilitate the understanding and interpretation of results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by StataCorp LP in its journal Stata Journal.
Volume (Year): 9 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.stata-journal.com/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kolawole Ogundari, 2013. "A Note on Socio-Economic Characteristics and the Demand for Beverages in Nigeria: Does Income Matter?," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 43(3), pages 293-302, December.
- David Roodman, 2009. "Estimating Fully Observed Recursive Mixed-Process Models with cmp," Working Papers 168, Center for Global Development.
- Chapoto, Antony & Ragasa, Catherine, 2013. "Moving in the right direction? Maize productivity and fertilizer use and use intensity in Ghana:," IFPRI discussion papers 1314, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Reyes, Byron & Donovan, Cynthia & Bernsten, Richard H. & Maredia, Mywish K., 2012. "Market participation and sale of potatoes by smallholder farmers in the central highlands of Angola: A Double Hurdle approach," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126655, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fischer, Elisabeth & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Smallholder Farmers and Collective Action: What Determines the Intensity of Participation?," Discussion Papers 108551, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Daniel Hamermesh & Stephen Trejo, 2013.
"How do immigrants spend their time? The process of assimilation,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 507-530, April.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S. & Trejo, Stephen, 2010. "How Do Immigrants Spend Their Time? The Process of Assimilation," IZA Discussion Papers 5010, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Stephen J. Trejo, 2010. "How Do Immigrants Spend Time?: The Process of Assimilation," NBER Working Papers 16430, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hichaambwa, Munguzwe & Jayne, T. S., 2014. "Poverty Reduction Potential of Increasing Smallholder Access to Land," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 171873, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Ngoma, Hambulo & Mulenga, Brian P. & Jayne, T.S., 2014.
"What Explains Minimal Usage of Minimum Tillage Practices in Zambia? Evidence from District-Representative Data,"
Food Security Collaborative Working Papers
165886, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Ngoma, Hambulo & Mulenga, Brian P. & Jayne, T.S., 2014. "What Explains Minimal Usage of Minimum Tillage Practices in Zambia? Evidence from District-representative Data," Food Security Collaborative Policy Briefs 171875, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Mulenga, Brian P. & Richardson, Robert B. & Tembo, Gelson, 2012. "Non-Timber Forest Products and Rural Poverty Alleviation in Zambia," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 123220, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Mark C. Senia & Helen H. Jensen & Oleksandr Zhylyevskyy, 2014. "Time in Eating and Food Preparation among Single Adults," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 14-wp549, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Rao, Elizaphan J.O. & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "The supermarket revolution and impacts on agricultural labor markets: Empirical evidence from Kenya," Discussion Papers 107745, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Noltze, Martin & Schwarze, Stefan & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Understanding the adoption of systemic innovations in smallholder agriculture: the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in Timor Leste," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114604, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hadrich, Joleen C. & Larsen, Ryan A. & Olson, Frayne E., 2012. "Incentives for Machinery Investment," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124897, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Pagán, Ricardo, 2013. "Time allocation of disabled individuals," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 84(C), pages 80-93.
- David Roodman, 2011. "Fitting fully observed recursive mixed-process models with cmp," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 11(2), pages 159-206, June.
- Fischer, Elisabeth & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Smallholder Farmers and Collective Action: What Determines the Intensity of Participation?," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 28, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Yu, Bingxin & Nin-Pratt, Alejandro & Funes, JosÃ© & Gemessa, Sinafikeh Asrat, 2011. "Cereal production and technology adoption in Ethiopia:," ESSP working papers 31, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Sigei, Geoffrey & Bett, Hillary & Kibet, Lawrence, 2014. "Determinants of Market Participation among Small-scale Pineapple Farmers in Kericho County, Kenya," MPRA Paper 56149, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sheahan, Megan & Ariga, Joshua & Jayne, T.S., 2013. "Modeling the Effects of Input Market Reforms on Fertilizer Demand and Maize Production: A Case Study of Kenya," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150697, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Mario Mechtel & Tim Friehe, 2014.
"Gambling to Leapfrog in Status?,"
IAAEU Discussion Papers
201404, Institute of Labour Law and Industrial Relations in the European Union (IAAEU).
- Rao, Elizaphan J.O. & Qaim, Matin, 2013. "Supermarkets and agricultural labor demand in Kenya: A gendered perspective," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 165-176.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum) or (Lisa Gilmore).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.