An exact and a Monte Carlo proposal to the Fisher–Pitman permutation tests for paired replicates and for independent samples
AbstractThis article concerns the nonparametric Fisher-Pitman tests for paired replicates and independent samples. After outlining the theory of exact tests, I derive Monte Carlo simulations for both of them. Simulations can be useful if one deals with many observations because of the complexity of the algorithms in regard to sample sizes. The tests are designed to be a more powerful alternative to the Wilcoxon signed-rank test and the Wilcoxon-Mann-Whitney rank-sum test if the observations are given on at least an interval scale. The results gained by Monte Carlo versions of the tests are accurate enough in comparison to the exact versions. Finally, I give examples for using both supplemented tests. Copyright 2007 by StataCorp LP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by StataCorp LP in its journal Stata Journal.
Volume (Year): 7 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.stata-journal.com/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cheung, Stephen L. & Hedegaard, Morten & Palan, Stefan, 2012.
"To See Is To Believe: Common Expectations in Experimental Asset Markets,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6922, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cheung, Stephen L. & Hedegaard, Morten & Palan, Stefan, 2014. "To see is to believe: Common expectations in experimental asset markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 84-96.
- Cheung, Stephen L. & Hedegaard, Morten & Palan, Stefan, 2012. "To See Is To Believe: Common Expectations In Experimental Asset Markets," Working Papers 2012-10, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Martin Beckenkamp & Heike Hennig-Schmidt & Frank P. Maier-Rigaud, 2007. "Cooperation in Symmetric and Asymmetric Prisoner's Dilemma Games," Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2006_25, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Cheung, Stephen L. & Coleman, Andrew, 2012.
"League-Table Incentives and Price Bubbles in Experimental Asset Markets,"
2012-13, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Cheung, Stephen L. & Coleman, Andrew, 2011. "League-Table Incentives and Price Bubbles in Experimental Asset Markets," IZA Discussion Papers 5704, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Agne Kajackaite, 2014. "If I close my eyes, nobody will get hurt. The effect of ignorance on performance in a real effort experiment," Cologne Graduate School Working Paper Series 05-03, Cologne Graduate School in Management, Economics and Social Sciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum) or (Lisa Gilmore).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.