AbstractThis paper identifies spillovers from law enforcement. Our approach makes use of microdata on compliance with TV license fees that allow us to distinguish between households that were subject to enforcement and those that were not. Using snowfall as an instrument for local inspections, we find a striking response of households to increased enforcement in their vicinity: on average, three detections make one additional household comply with the law. As compliance rises significantly among those who had no exposure to field inspections, our findings establish a sizable externality in enforcement. © 2011 The President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 93 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lang, Matthias & Wambach, Achim, 2013.
"The fog of fraud – Mitigating fraud by strategic ambiguity,"
Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 81(C), pages 255-275.
- Matthias Lang & Achim Wambach, 2010. "The fog of fraud – mitigating fraud by strategic ambiguity," Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2010_24, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Stefan Trautmann & Razvan Vlahu, 2011.
"Strategic Loan Defaults and Coordination: An Experimental Analysis,"
DNB Working Papers, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department
312, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Trautmann, Stefan T. & Vlahu, Razvan, 2013. "Strategic loan defaults and coordination: An experimental analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 747-760.
- Galbiati, Roberto & Zanella, Giulio, 2012. "The tax evasion social multiplier: Evidence from Italy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 96(5), pages 485-494.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.