Misclassification between Patent Offices: Evidence from a Matched Sample of Patent Applications
AbstractIn this paper, we estimate the extent of misclassification in patent examination decisions between the European Patent Office (EPO) and the Japanese Patent Office (JPO), that is, applications that are incorrectly refused a patent or incorrectly granted a patent. Using a proxy for inventive step as the predictor of the correct decision, we find that the probability that a “true grant” application is refused is 6.1%, while the probability that a “true refusal” application is granted is 9.8%. However, we find no evidence of an increasing trend of granting “bad” patents at the EPO and JPO. © 2011 The President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 93 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dammert, Ana C. & Galdo, Jose C., 2013.
"Child Labor Variation by Type of Respondent: Evidence from a Large-Scale Study,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7446, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dammert, Ana C. & Galdo, Jose, 2013. "Child Labor Variation by Type of Respondent: Evidence from a Large-Scale Study," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 207-220.
- Adele Bergin, 2013. "Job Changes and Wage Changes: Estimation with Measurement Error in a Binary Variable," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n240-13.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Matthis de Saint-Georges, 2011.
"A Quality Index for Patent Systems,"
Working Papers ECARES
ECARES 2011-010, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- de Saint-Georges, Matthis & van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno, 2011. "A quality index for patent systems," CEPR Discussion Papers 8440, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Matthis de Saint-Georges, 2011. "A quality index for patent systems," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2011-010, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.